Baseball will have Bieber Fever on Saturday. And it will be Good.

Oct 29, 2010, 9:58 AM EDT

Justin Bieber Performs At The Staples Center Getty Images

When I saw that FOX is going to debut Justin Bieber’s new video prior to Game 3 tomorrow, my first impulse was to scoff, as people of a certain age and disposition always scoff at whatever teen sensation is out conquering the world at any given moment.

But my second thought is to appreciate the move as pretty brilliant. Not just for Justin Bieber’s marketability — who cares? — but for baseball’s.

Game 3 is the early start game, with the first pitch going down before 7PM.  The early start combined with all that Bieber Fever is going to ensure that a ton of young, impressionable minds are going to be watching.  While I predict that the vast majority of the Bieber people will go off to shop for glittery lip gloss or trade Silly Bandz or whatever it is Bieber people do once the video is over, even a tiny percentage of those folks is a big number of people. If they stay, and if they watch, baseball may do what it’s always accused of being unable to do, and that’s attract some young fans.

A pipe dream? Maybe. But not every baseball fan was created via a nice game of catch with dad or watching the Brooklyn Dodgers through a knothole or whatever the hell old Brooklyn Dodgers fans claim they used to do. Some fans just happened to see baseball on TV once and it caught their fancy.  If three minutes of bubblegum pop makes even a couple thousand new baseball fans, I for one will be happy to endure it.

1. BC - Oct 29, 2010 at 10:01 AM

I think I’ll ask the barkeep to put on Storm Stories until I know the first pitch is thrown.

2. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 29, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Since I know Bieber is way more successful at his age than I’ll ever be ever, I must do something that he can’t do as well as me to compensate….and that would be pounding whiskey to the face. That bastard has nothing on my well-serviced liver, smoke-burned taste buds and general badassiness that allows me to drink to excess and to the EXTREME!!!!! So that is what I’ll be doing when I turn on Game 3. Bring it Biebs!

• BC - Oct 29, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Amen. Having 7 or 8 Jack Daniels and Diet Cokes in me might actually make me forget I ever saw Justin Bieber….

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 29, 2010 at 10:25 AM

It will also make that scag in the corner of the bar look attractive…go for it, dude. She’s eyeing you…with her one eye.

• BC - Oct 29, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Nah, that’s my ex-wife. Been there. Done that. Regrettably.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 29, 2010 at 10:34 AM

hahahahahahahahahhahahahahah

3. Gobias Industries - Oct 29, 2010 at 10:47 AM

As a 12-year-old girl stuck in a 35-year-old man’s body, this news makes me super excited. Like, OMG and such.

(Too weird?)

• Utley's Hair - Oct 29, 2010 at 11:11 AM

That’s just too disturbing to comment on…so, of course I did.

4. Jonny 5 - Oct 29, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Well this is why the Phanatic exists. Kids love the Philly Phanatic. Which in turn makes kids love the Phillies. I love the Phanatic, as much as I dislike saying it. He humps people like a pet dog would, we can’t dislike him for his flaws can we??? Big dumb muppet. Not that I’m any better……..

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 29, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Dude, Justin Bieber IS the Phanatic!

• Utley's Hair - Oct 29, 2010 at 11:18 AM

So, the adults being accosted are the pedophiles? Damn…that’s just messed up.

• scatterbrian - Oct 29, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Bieber Phever!

• Utley's Hair - Oct 29, 2010 at 11:17 AM

You’re one of those big monsters that carry the trash cans around, aren’t you?

But my kid loves the Phanatic—though he would love the Phightins even without him. It just gives him a distraction once in a while. But I like the Phanatic, too—I guess it’s just my inner ADD-riddled kid.

Ya gotta love how he manhandled Lasorda, though.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 29, 2010 at 11:38 AM

I love the Phanatic. Don’t get me wrong. I think that thing is hilarious. He did a Brittany spears impersonation one night, wore a dress. RIOT!

• Utley's Hair - Oct 29, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Rubbing up against kids with no pants on…flashing kids and large groups of people…discharging weapons into the crowd…reckless operation of a recreational vehicle…need I go on?

• Jonny 5 - Oct 29, 2010 at 12:42 PM

But he’s just a big dumb Muppet. I mean how does a saint bernard get a free pass to do the same, but the Phanatic gets criticized??? Is there something you’re not telling us Hair? Did the Phanatic corner you somewhere as a child???

• Utley's Hair - Oct 29, 2010 at 12:45 PM

He messed up my hair once…. :( –Sniff–

• Utley's Hair - Oct 29, 2010 at 1:15 PM

But I love the Galopagander, also—he is the best mascot in sports. He’s awesome.

I must’ve missed something—what St. Bernard are you referring to?

• Jonny 5 - Oct 29, 2010 at 2:33 PM

ANY St Bernard. Besides Cujo. He’s a bad example. Even Old Yeller humped on people.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 29, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Aha…I was digging too deep there in your reference…as I said in the Fossil post, I’m kinda not running at full throttle tday, MENSA wise…

• BC - Oct 29, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Sorry, the Phoenix Suns Gorilla is the be-all-end-all of mascots.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 29, 2010 at 11:55 AM

The very fact that it’s attached to a team that plays an irrelevant sport nullifies any potential point you may or may not have made.

• BC - Oct 29, 2010 at 11:58 AM

So how relevant are the Phillies right now? Other than on the golf course, I mean….

• Utley's Hair - Oct 29, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Just about as relevant as the Mutts…only it took them a few more months to get to that point.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 29, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Dayyyyyum, Harsh. But in all reality BC. The Phills have hope for next season. I think the Mutts can start gaining hope somewhere around 2014 at the earliest…

• BC - Oct 29, 2010 at 12:51 PM

I’ve already concluded that the Mets have no hope for the next 3 to 4 years. It puts me at peace, and gives me more time to concentrate on NASCAR.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Oct 29, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Does anyone really need to “concentrate” on NASCAR?

• BC - Oct 29, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Well, it’s either NASCAR or Storm Stories. And the Weather Channel hasn’t been the same without Sharon Resultan and Christina Abernathy.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 29, 2010 at 2:13 PM

He’ll be more focused on fending off the advances of his cycloptic ex-wife.

5. stackers1 - Oct 29, 2010 at 1:29 PM

The Justin Beiber thing makes me happy to be a Cablevision customer.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey