Oct 29, 2010, 10:48 AM EDT
C.J. Wilson was forced out of his Game 2 start in the seventh inning by a blister on his left middle finger, explaining afterward that it “just ripped open” and kept him from being able to “throw anything beside the curveball for a strike” to Cody Ross, who walked leading off the inning.
Wilson explained after the game that he’s been pitching through blister problems for much of the season and promised to be “fine” for his potential Game 6 start Wednesday in San Francisco.
He also revealed that he used super glue to keep the blister closed in the early innings last night, which as David Brown of Yahoo! Sports notes could be something with which the umpires take issue.
Brown recalled that Zach Day of the then-Expos was ejected from a game in 2003 for having super glue on a blister, with umpire Bill Miller explaining at the time: “He had a foreign substance on his person and that means he is in violation of this rule.” And sure enough, under rule 8.02 (b) “a pitcher is automatically ejected if he is found with any foreign substance on his fingers.”
Miller is coincidentally also on the World Series umpiring crew, so presumably he’ll take an added interest in Wilson’s blister if the left-hander is on the mound for Game 6.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (247)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)