Oct 29, 2010, 1:35 AM EDT
Baseball commissioner Bud Selig said on Thursday that he is willing to consider expanding the playoffs as early as next season, and said a larger postseason might not have to wait for collective bargaining with the players, according to the Associated Press.
“Obviously, we have to talk to the union,” Selig said. “These are all details we have to work out. While I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about it, we have a lot of different opinions on the subject — how to do it, if to do it.”
Michael Weiner, the head of the players’ union, said his members are open to extending the playoffs, including making the division series a best-of-seven series.
Since the wild card was added to the MLB playoff format in 1995, eight of the league’s 30 teams have made the playoffs. That’s a far cry from the NBA and NHL, where 16 of 30 advance. In the NFL, 12 of 32 teams compete in the postseason.
There have been a number of ideas thrown around for how to expand the playoffs, including having two wild card teams play each other in a one-game playoff for the chance to play the team with the best record in the LDS. That wouldn’t add a whole lot to the postseason, would add some incentive to nabbing the top seed, and might add a little more intrigue to the stretch run.
But Selig said he is concerned about the playoffs stretching too deep into the cold-weather season, saying “we’ll look at everything, but look, I’m already concerned.”
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)