Oct 29, 2010, 1:17 PM EDT
Hired as the Dodgers’ manager despite having zero actual managerial experience, Don Mattingly headed to the Arizona Fall League to get some games under his belt skippering the Phoenix Desert Dogs.
And as Scott Merkin of MLB.com writes, he ran out of pitchers in a blowout loss yesterday.
The game was originally ruled a forfeit after the top of the eighth inning ended, but then the statistics amassed would not have counted. A decision was made by the AFL to call this game due to a lack of pitching in order to avoid extending any fall league pitcher and lessen the chance for injury. The move came after Mattingly met with the umpiring crew on the field before the bottom of the eighth, and the crew then talked with Saguaros manager Ted Simmons.
Things were going OK until the seventh inning, when Dodgers prospect Steven Ames came into the game and allowed all seven batters he faced to reach base. Mattingly then used two other pitchers to get out of the inning, at which point the bullpen was apparently empty with six outs still to record.
Not exactly what Dodgers fans were hoping for as Mattingly tries to learn on the job, particularly after he had two embarrassing gaffes this season while managing following a Joe Torre ejection, allowing the team to bat out of order and being forced to remove closer Jonathan Broxton following an accidental visit to the mound.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 8
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 46
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)