How about that Edgar Renteria?

Oct 29, 2010, 12:28 PM EDT

Texas Rangers v San Francisco Giants, Game 2 Getty Images

I would have been mildly surprised if, before the series, you told me that the Giants would be up 2-0.  I would have been a bit more surprised if you would have told me that the Giants would be up 2-0 because Cliff Lee got lit up in Game 1.  But I would have been most surprised if you told me that a big part of the Giants being up 2-0 was because Edgar Renteria has been playing incredible baseball.  Really, that wouldn’t have computed.

As you saw last night, Renteria hit a solo homer off C.J. Wilson in the fifth inning and hit a two-run single in the eighth.  On Wednesday he was one for three and scored a couple of runs.  Each night he played some pretty darn solid shortstop, with the only blemish being a dropped throw when Buster Posey tried to cut down a runner last night.

More than anything, though, is that he has looked downright spry out there.  Intense, even. I don’t mean to disparage him or anything, but “intense” is not a word you could have used to describe Renteria’s play for the past several years.  He’s a guy who has talked openly of retirement recently. Who has business and charitable interests in Colombia that occupy him more and more as time goes on (he really is a big deal there).  He sat an awful lot in the second half of the season and it would have surprised no one if he all but disappeared as the playoffs got underway.

But he hasn’t. He’s been pretty awesome, actually. And I suppose him sitting so much in the second half has a lot to do with that. I mean, those [ahem] “35-year-old” bones probably needed the rest.  And even if Bruce Bochy never figured that Renteria was going to be an important part of the Giants’ championship push, the rest has done them wonders.

Renteria may still retire after this season. But if he does, it’s nice to see him go out looking a bit more like the exciting player we met as a Florida Marlin than the aging vet he has appeared to be these past few years.

1. levistahl - Oct 29, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Agreed. As a longtime fan of Renteria based on his time as a Cardinal, I’ve really enjoyed getting to watch him play so well the past few days.

It almost makes up for there being so few Panda sightings in this series thus far. Almost.

2. BC - Oct 29, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Hasn’t Rent-A-Wreck played for like 11 teams?

3. dt - Oct 29, 2010 at 12:44 PM

He’s heading to an AL park tomorrow though, so expect any quality play to come to a screeching halt.

4. mcsnide - Oct 29, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Here in Maine, there is only one minor league team, and nearly everyone roots for the Red Sox at the big league level. As I’m driving to work this morning, the local NPR recap of last night’s game included the fact that “former Portland Sea Dog Edgar Renteria hit a critical home run.” It cracked me up that they pretended his year in Boston never happened to talk about his connection to a minor league 15 years ago.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 29, 2010 at 2:43 PM

That is very…… Odd to say the least isn’t it?

• mcsnide - Oct 29, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Let’s just say Edgar’s time in a Red Sox uniform isn’t thought of fondly. Nor is the three years afterward when Theo paid him to play for Altanta and Detroit.

Personally, that’s what annoyed me about the deal. Anybody can have a bad year; I thought they should have given him another chance. But Theo was desperate to get his new favorite SS, Julio Lugo, so off Edgar went. Of course, Lugo was even worse than Renteria. On the bright side, it looks like they won’t have to buy Scutaro out and/or pay someone to take him like they did with Renteria/Lugo.

Pineda ejection wrong message from MLB
  1. I. Davis (4232)