Oct 29, 2010, 9:35 PM EDT
According to Jeff Fletcher of AOL Fanhouse, Pablo Sandoval will be the Giants’ designated hitter for Game 3 against right-hander Colby Lewis tomorrow night.
Juan Uribe started at third base for the first two games of the World Series with left-handed starters on the mound for the Rangers. Sandoval has just 14 at-bats during the entire postseason.
There has been a lot of debate on this topic during the week — mostly due to a lack of quality options — but it looks like Bruce Bochy is going for upside on offense. He reportedly gave consideration to using Aubrey Huff at DH and playing Travis Ishikawa at first base.
Keep in mind, for all of Sandoval’s struggles this season, he still managed to hit .282 with 12 of his 13 homers and a 779 OPS from the left side of the plate. Of course, he also hit just .208 with a 565 OPS away from AT&T Park. Bochy is undoubtedly hoping the former shows up tomorrow night.
Just because Sandoval will be the DH in Game 3 doesn’t mean he’ll be there in Game 4 or Game 5, if necessary. If or when Cliff Lee pitches again, look for Bochy to add another right-handed bat to his lineup — likely Aaron Rowand — pushing Pat Burrell to the DH spot.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 50
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 27
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)