Oct 29, 2010, 9:35 PM EDT
According to Jeff Fletcher of AOL Fanhouse, Pablo Sandoval will be the Giants’ designated hitter for Game 3 against right-hander Colby Lewis tomorrow night.
Juan Uribe started at third base for the first two games of the World Series with left-handed starters on the mound for the Rangers. Sandoval has just 14 at-bats during the entire postseason.
There has been a lot of debate on this topic during the week — mostly due to a lack of quality options — but it looks like Bruce Bochy is going for upside on offense. He reportedly gave consideration to using Aubrey Huff at DH and playing Travis Ishikawa at first base.
Keep in mind, for all of Sandoval’s struggles this season, he still managed to hit .282 with 12 of his 13 homers and a 779 OPS from the left side of the plate. Of course, he also hit just .208 with a 565 OPS away from AT&T Park. Bochy is undoubtedly hoping the former shows up tomorrow night.
Just because Sandoval will be the DH in Game 3 doesn’t mean he’ll be there in Game 4 or Game 5, if necessary. If or when Cliff Lee pitches again, look for Bochy to add another right-handed bat to his lineup — likely Aaron Rowand — pushing Pat Burrell to the DH spot.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)