Phillies “highly unlikely” to re-sign free agent Jamie Moyer

Oct 29, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT

Jamie Moyer

Jamie Moyer officially became a free agent yesterday and Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports that the Phillies are “highly unlikely” to re-sign the 48-year-old left-hander.

Philadelphia hastened Moyer’s arrival on the open market by placing him on waivers in order to clear a spot on the 40-man roster immediately and the 267-game winner is expected to play winter ball in the Dominican Republic in an effort to drum up some interest for 2011.

General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. indicated that the Phillies might be open to bringing Moyer back on a non-guaranteed minor league contract, but told Zolecki that’s likely where their interest would end:

I don’t know if Jamie would accept anything like that, but we haven’t had any discussions about it. I think more than anything else there are some questions about his health. Obviously his age is a factor. But we have to consider our starting pitching depth and see whether or not bringing Jamie back is the right thing for us.

Even without making any changes to the rotation the Phillies could enter 2011 with a starting five of Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt, Cole Hamels, Joe Blanton, and Kyle Kendrick, so they may not have room for Moyer even if he looks healthy this winter.

Acquired from the Mariners in mid-2006 and later re-signed to a pair of two-year contracts, Moyer went 56-40 with a 4.55 ERA in 721 innings spread over four-and-a-half seasons in Philadelphia, which is pretty remarkable given that he was already 43 years old when he joined the team.

1. BC - Oct 29, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Maybe Boston can team him up with Wakefield and have them alternate starts. That would be COOL.

2. Utley's Hair - Oct 29, 2010 at 11:03 AM

When Jamie goes, it’ll be like losing a Grandpa. Well, for the rest of the team anyway, ’cause I’m too close in age for that to actually be a possibility…damn I’m old. :(

But is there anyway KK can be made the 6th starter in a five man rotation?

3. Jonny 5 - Oct 29, 2010 at 11:49 AM

I’m torn. I don’t know what to say besides, damn. And Kendrick? I’d trade him for a fith starter. But that’s me. On one hand i’d love to see Moyer do great with the Phills. On the other hand that’s kind of unlikely. But as we’ve seen from Moyer “unlikely” is the dude’s M.O. I wouldn’t be shocked if he was terrible in the minors, and i wouldn’t be shocked to see him end up as some team’s #3 by mid season either.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 29, 2010 at 12:24 PM

I’d like to see him retire here, but the old boy doesn’t seem to want to ride off into that sunset—which is getting earlier and earlier these days.

But trade Kendrick? You saw what Rube got last year–and that was for Cliffy!!! What do you think he’d wrangle for KK? A tube of BenGay? That wouldn’t be very useful, especially without Grandpa here.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 29, 2010 at 12:51 PM

I think a team who wants to dump some salary will trade for Kendrick. Kinda like how Lee came to Philly, and Oswalt. Yes, Happ is better than Kendrick, but I’m not talking about getting a guy that good either. I’m talking 4-5 million dollar man or less. Or the FA class of 2011 may even have some good candidates… The pitchers list is HUGE.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 29, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Ooh…so, who do you want from Tampa?

• Jonny 5 - Oct 29, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Seee, now you’re thinking. Plenty of teams with not enough fans to pay the bills need to cut salary…..

• Utley's Hair - Oct 29, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Now I wouldn’t go as far to say that I’m thinking…

4. Charles Gates - Oct 29, 2010 at 11:54 AM

There’s a ‘Moyer will probably sign with either the Rays or the Marlis because that’s where old people go’ joke floating around, but I can’t make it work.

• 12strikes - Oct 29, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Your right…. you can’t make it work (lol)

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win