Oct 29, 2010, 2:48 PM EST
Despite wrapping up interviews with various managerial candidates two weeks ago the Pirates have yet to name a replacement for John Russell, which has Tracy Ringolsby of FOXSports.com speculating that they’re waiting for the postseason to end so they can talk to Rangers hitting coach Clint Hurdle.
Hurdle was the Rockies’ manager from 2002-2009 and took the team to the World Series in 2007, but that was also his lone playoff appearance and his overall record was just 534-625 for a sub par .461 winning percentage.
Ringolsby covered the Rockies for the Rocky Mountain News while Hurdle was manager and clearly thinks very highly of him, writing that he “would seem to fit the Pirates’ needs well” after “elevating the Rockies credibility among sports fans” in Colorado.
Pittsburgh has suffered through 18 straight losing seasons and avoiding a 19th will be tough in 2011, but the Pirates do have a solid nucleus of young talent and probably aren’t as far away from snapping the streak (and perhaps even contending in the NL Central) as most people would assume.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 2
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 18
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 15
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 144
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)