Oct 29, 2010, 7:11 PM EDT
Placido Polanco underwent successful surgery on his left elbow Friday, according to Todd Zolecki of MLB.com. Bothered by a bone spur and tendinitis in his elbow for most of the season, the 35-year-old required four cortisone injections in order to play 132 regular season games and eight playoff games.
“It went very well and we are fully expecting Placido to be 100 percent by Spring Training,” Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said in a statement. “We hope to have him swinging the bat again within 10 weeks, around early January.”
Despite the injury, Polanco still managed to hit .298/.339/.386 with six home runs and 52 RBI in 554 at-bats this season, nearly identical to his offensive production from 2009 with the Tigers. He also didn’t skip a beat in his transition from second base back to the hot corner, ranking as one of the top defensive third basemen in the majors, according to UZR (Ultimate Zone Rating) on Fangraphs.
Signed to a three-year, $18 million contract last December, Polanco is owed $5.25 million in 2011, $6.25 million in 2012 and either a $5.5 mutual option or $1 million buyout in 2013.
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 54
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (76)