Oct 29, 2010, 7:11 PM EDT
Placido Polanco underwent successful surgery on his left elbow Friday, according to Todd Zolecki of MLB.com. Bothered by a bone spur and tendinitis in his elbow for most of the season, the 35-year-old required four cortisone injections in order to play 132 regular season games and eight playoff games.
“It went very well and we are fully expecting Placido to be 100 percent by Spring Training,” Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said in a statement. “We hope to have him swinging the bat again within 10 weeks, around early January.”
Despite the injury, Polanco still managed to hit .298/.339/.386 with six home runs and 52 RBI in 554 at-bats this season, nearly identical to his offensive production from 2009 with the Tigers. He also didn’t skip a beat in his transition from second base back to the hot corner, ranking as one of the top defensive third basemen in the majors, according to UZR (Ultimate Zone Rating) on Fangraphs.
Signed to a three-year, $18 million contract last December, Polanco is owed $5.25 million in 2011, $6.25 million in 2012 and either a $5.5 mutual option or $1 million buyout in 2013.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 3
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 81
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)