Poor Jose Guillen

Oct 29, 2010, 8:48 AM EDT

Jose Guillen

I have three observations regarding the Jose Guillen HGH investigation:

• I am shocked, shocked that Guillen is tied up with HGH.  Oh wait, no I’m not.  Not one bit.  All that’s missing now is for Dayton Moore to waltz in and give him another $36 million contract as soon as this thing is over;
  • If Guillen was using HGH, can we finally dispense with the fantasy that HGH is performance enhancing? Short of that, can he get out of a 50 game suspension here, seeing as though the stuff he was being sent was obviously the HGH equivalent of oregano in a dime bag?

Oh well. Assuming this plays out how we think it will, Mike Morgan, Matt Stairs, and Ron Villone’s record for most franchises played for in a career is safe. Jose will likely end with ten, falling two short of those dudes.  Sad, really.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 29, 2010 at 9:07 AM

I don’t think people say HGH enhances performance. What HGH does is allow you to play the same way more often and with less pain. I.E. Andy Petitte. This year, he was hurt and he couldn’t go into his bag to get some HGH and make himself better for the postseason. I don’t think HGH ever made Petitte a better pitcher. I think it helped him get healthy to be the already great pitcher he is more often.

As far as Guillen, I said it in a previous post and I’ll say it here too…it is a disgrace that MLB “recommended” that he be removed from the playoff roster before he even was afforded any type of due process. I wonder, if this had been a star like Huff or Posey, if MLB would have done this. I doubt it. But since it was Jose Guillen, somebody not well-liked anyway, they decided unilaterally and without any ability for Guillen to respond to the allegations, to simply “recommend” his removal from the playoff roster. Yeah, I know he has a past issue with PEDs, but “beginning an inquiry” and having solid evidence are two different things and if this ends up not panning out, MLB will look stupid and will have possibly ruined a chance for the guy to play in the 2010 postseason. Bad precedent, MLB.

2. paperlions - Oct 29, 2010 at 9:43 AM

There is actually no evidence that HGH does anything at all (in isolation or in tandem with other substances) for a healthy adult. It does not aid in recovery and it does not speed up healing. Anabolic steroids will do those things in an otherwise healthy adult; HGH does not.

• Jonny 5 - Oct 29, 2010 at 10:38 AM

HGH manipulates the bodies ability to repair itself and regrow new cells. The natrual ability of the body decreases the older you get. HGH gives an unfair advantage over players who follow the rules and do not use them. Not to mention HGH has some non desireable side effects if used at a rate consistant with what an athlete would need to stay healthy if they were older and prone to injury. And we all well know this would happen to extend careers…. I think HGH needs to be banned, and I think we need to end this constant fight against nature to make us better athletes through chemical means. It’s a cheap way to stay on top of your game. And don’t even bring up Advil, and Tylenol, or water being performance enhancing. I’ve heard those one’s in comparison and it’s not even close.

• obo1892 - Oct 29, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Citations or GTFO.

3. BC - Oct 29, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Maybe his wife was using the HGH?

4. obo1892 - Oct 29, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Citations or GTFO

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4032)