Oct 29, 2010, 8:24 AM EST
That’s the report from Chris De Luca of the Chicago Sun Times, who says that Marlins owner Jeff Loria — who is apparently obsessed with having Ozzie Guillen as his manager — was willing to trade phenom Mike Stanton to the Sox in exchange for Kenny Williams letting Guillen out of his contract.
At least it’s the implication of the article that it was Loria who was willing to do such a deal as opposed to the White Sox merely proposing it. Which is frankly nuts. Because if you’re Kenny Williams, and Loria actually makes Stanton available even for a millisecond, you yell “done!” and then personally chauffeur Ozzie to Miami, don’t you? Because no one on the planet thinks that a manager — even an entertaining and successful one like Guillen — isn’t worth cutting loose in exchange for a 20 year-old slugger with otherworldly power, right?
Well, maybe Jerry Reinsdorf feels that way, because it seems like he’s the one who put the kibosh on this thing. Which, if true, should have White Sox fans assuming this position for the next several years as Stanton destroys National League pitching.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)