Oct 29, 2010, 8:24 AM EDT
That’s the report from Chris De Luca of the Chicago Sun Times, who says that Marlins owner Jeff Loria — who is apparently obsessed with having Ozzie Guillen as his manager — was willing to trade phenom Mike Stanton to the Sox in exchange for Kenny Williams letting Guillen out of his contract.
At least it’s the implication of the article that it was Loria who was willing to do such a deal as opposed to the White Sox merely proposing it. Which is frankly nuts. Because if you’re Kenny Williams, and Loria actually makes Stanton available even for a millisecond, you yell “done!” and then personally chauffeur Ozzie to Miami, don’t you? Because no one on the planet thinks that a manager — even an entertaining and successful one like Guillen — isn’t worth cutting loose in exchange for a 20 year-old slugger with otherworldly power, right?
Well, maybe Jerry Reinsdorf feels that way, because it seems like he’s the one who put the kibosh on this thing. Which, if true, should have White Sox fans assuming this position for the next several years as Stanton destroys National League pitching.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)