Why David Ortiz wants two years. And why he’s wrong about that.

Oct 29, 2010, 9:31 AM EDT

David Ortiz

David Ortiz gave an interview with WEEI, and the big topic, not surprisingly, was his future in Boston. He has a one-year, $12.5 million option. Despite the fact that’s well above the market rate for aging DH’s these days, he wants a two year deal.  Why two years? Here’s why, according to Big Papi:

“I’m not comfortable coming back just for one year because it’s going to be the same roller-coaster that I had this year . . . I just want to cut out all the crap and go back to the guy I was before, a happy guy who doesn’t have to be answering questions that have nothing to with anything but controversy . . . That’s where I came back to not wanting just one year, because I know it’s going to be just the same thing. As soon as you struggle for a week, it’s going to be the same thing. People saying you are old, saying you have no bat speed anymore. People talking all kind of crap.”

Like they wouldn’t ask those same questions if he was under a two year deal? Indeed, it would probably be worse, with the “kind of crap” people talking being of the “oh God, we’re stuck with him for 2012 too?” variety.  If he’s under a one year deal and he struggles, at least people might take a slightly more philosophical “well, he’s gone after this year” approach.

The fact is that if Ortiz is expecting things to go back to the way they were in 2004-2007, he’s dreaming. Because fans and the media in Boston may be tough, but they’re not dumb. They know that when players reach a certain age that their skills diminish and eventually disappear. They can’t simply say “no worries, Ortiz will be smacking the ball around like crazy soon enough” because as time goes on that simply won’t be true at some point. It was nice that Ortiz was able to rebound from a slow start this season. But there will come a time when he doesn’t, and he can’t expect people to ignore that possibility.

And one final question: how much does Ortiz expect to be paid over two years? If he wants that $12 million or something close to it for both seasons — and given how confident he sounds in the interview, he likely does — a two-year deal would bring even more scrutiny down on him he’s seen previously. Because that’s just a tremendous amount of scratch to give to a, um, 34 year-old DH.

1. BC - Oct 29, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Bye bye, Papi.
    Use the cash to sign Beltre. Then maybe V-Mart, a defensive catcher and another bat. Between Ortiz, Lowell and Varitek you have like $30 million coming off the payroll, enough to do some rework. And if you somehow can trade Papelbon, even more.

2. jfk69 - Oct 29, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Let the Yankees sign him at that price. They love paying 35 year old and up players 10 million or better a year. I hear they might start a senior league any day now….lol
    Papi…GET REAL…5 million a year as a dh is all your worth. ONE YEAR AT A TIME.

3. jfk69 - Oct 29, 2010 at 10:35 AM

I told my boss i wanted a two year contract.
    HE TOLD ME THEY WERE OFFERING THAT AT UNEMPLOYMENT….GOOD LUCK!!!

4. daninkatonah - Oct 29, 2010 at 10:50 AM

If they can cut bait on Nomar, then Papi is no different. $12M is probably closer to what he should be paid collectively for the next 2 years. Take the money and run, Papi.

5. mcsnide - Oct 29, 2010 at 11:07 AM

I don’t get it. If he were trying to negotiate a FA deal, it’s unlikely he could get 2 years. And I’m pretty comfortable saying there’s no way he’d see 12 mil per.

6. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 29, 2010 at 1:06 PM

but they’re not dumb

Shocked you’d say this considering you linked something from WEEI…

7. Adam - Oct 29, 2010 at 2:58 PM

I might be willing to give him a 2 year, 12 million dollar contract. But that’s total, not per year.

8. Professor Longnose - Oct 29, 2010 at 3:04 PM

At his age, even having a good season without struggling won’t stop the writers from wondering when he will lose it. But he’s probably right in thinking that a two-year deal would be a benefit on the field, not just in the bank. With a two-year deal, the club would be less likely to bench (or cut) him if he was struggling, rather than letting him play through it, because it’s more money to walk away from, and because it presumably implies that they think he can do it more or less for two years.

Which I don’t think the Sox think, so he probably won’t get the years from them.

9. JBerardi - Oct 29, 2010 at 3:48 PM

David Ortiz, ’09: .238/.332/.462
    David Ortiz, ’10: .270/.370/.529

Guess what, David? Your happiness means jack-diddly-crap.

10. pisano - Oct 29, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Papi , your best bet is to kiss Theo’s ass for two years for 8 to 10 mil. total . It’s either that or you can test the waters and see what GM’s think of a 35 year old declining DH is worth . You will be surprised with the outcome . If the Sox are willing to give you two yrs. at the above money , you’d be a fool not to take it . The real problem for Papi is he has no leverage .

All the trade deadline news to know