Oct 30, 2010, 4:08 PM EST
When the Yankees fired pitching coach Dave Eiland this fall after their run in the American League Championship Series was put to a stop, general manager Brian Cashman called it his own decision. He said it was a “private” and “personal matter” that led to Eiland being let go and did not answer further questions. Now new details are trickling out.
Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York heard from a source this weekend that Eiland’s tarnished relationship with manager Joe Girardi, and not Cashman, is what likely spelled the end for the veteran Yankee coach.
Eiland felt that his “opinions were being deemphasized” when he returned from a month-long leave of absence in June, according to Marchand’s source, and frustration likely grew out of A.J. Burnett’s consistently poor showings in the second half of the 2010 season.
So what does this all mean? Not much, really. Eiland is already gone and the Yankees aren’t going to get into further details of why he was let go because they don’t have to. It does make one think that Girardi might have a little more say in organizational moves than previously thought. He soured on the guy, the guy was fired.
The Yankees have not yet settled on a replacement for Eiland. Former Mets pitching coach Rick Peterson is in the running, as is A’s former pitching coach Curt Young. Leo Mazzone’s name has been thrown around as well.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 43
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 84
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)