Oct 30, 2010, 4:41 PM EDT
People have been hinting at the idea all week, and now it seems close to becoming a reality.
According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, “all signs” are indicating that Bobby Valentine is going to become the next manager of the Brewers.
Valentine was interviewed for a variety of managing gigs this fall, and even appeared to be the front-runner for the Marlins’ job at one point, but talks fell through on all fronts and most believe that the stalled negotiations had to do with money. Specifically, Bobby V’s demands — a $10 million contract extended over three years.
The Brewers draw well and have a dedicated fanbase, but spending $3 million on a skipper seems misguided. That money would be better served in the back pocket of a reliable back-end starter. Or, heck, a front-end starter.
But let’s focus on some of the positives here. Valentine has a 1117-1072 career managerial record over 15 years with the Phillies and Mets and he’ll bring a higher media profile to the Brewers. There’s a load of talent in place for him in Milwaukee, where the Cardinals, Cubs, Astros and Pirates have proven themselves plenty beatable. We’ll see about those Redlegs.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 3
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 37
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 107
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (107)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (83)