Oct 30, 2010, 5:29 PM EDT
HardballTalk’s own Craig Calcaterra had this story on Friday. Now it’s close to being confirmed.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy informed the Associated Press before Saturday’s World Series Game 3 that Jose Guillen was not left off the Giants’ postseason roster because of a PED-related investigation. He was left off because of a neck injury that would have hurt his availability throughout the team’s playoff run.
The New York Times ran a story earlier this week stating that Guillen was found to have received shipments of human growth hormone (HGH) during the 2010 season at an address registered to his wife. The story also said that Major League Baseball asked the Giants to leave the veteran outfielder out of their postseason plans because of the ongoing investigation. The first is true. The second, apparently, is not.
In all likelihood, the decision on Guillen was made for a variety of reasons. He did not hit with power down the stretch for the Giants and has become a pitiful defensive outfielder over the past few years. The neck injury definitely played a part. And the investigation definitely didn’t help anything.
Guillen, an impending free agent, is still waiting on word from the DEA and MLB commissioner’s office. It seems likely that he won’t have an agreement with a big league club before the start of spring training.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 22
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 34
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 30
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 39
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)