Oct 30, 2010, 5:29 PM EST
HardballTalk’s own Craig Calcaterra had this story on Friday. Now it’s close to being confirmed.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy informed the Associated Press before Saturday’s World Series Game 3 that Jose Guillen was not left off the Giants’ postseason roster because of a PED-related investigation. He was left off because of a neck injury that would have hurt his availability throughout the team’s playoff run.
The New York Times ran a story earlier this week stating that Guillen was found to have received shipments of human growth hormone (HGH) during the 2010 season at an address registered to his wife. The story also said that Major League Baseball asked the Giants to leave the veteran outfielder out of their postseason plans because of the ongoing investigation. The first is true. The second, apparently, is not.
In all likelihood, the decision on Guillen was made for a variety of reasons. He did not hit with power down the stretch for the Giants and has become a pitiful defensive outfielder over the past few years. The neck injury definitely played a part. And the investigation definitely didn’t help anything.
Guillen, an impending free agent, is still waiting on word from the DEA and MLB commissioner’s office. It seems likely that he won’t have an agreement with a big league club before the start of spring training.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)