Oct 30, 2010, 5:29 PM EST
HardballTalk’s own Craig Calcaterra had this story on Friday. Now it’s close to being confirmed.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy informed the Associated Press before Saturday’s World Series Game 3 that Jose Guillen was not left off the Giants’ postseason roster because of a PED-related investigation. He was left off because of a neck injury that would have hurt his availability throughout the team’s playoff run.
The New York Times ran a story earlier this week stating that Guillen was found to have received shipments of human growth hormone (HGH) during the 2010 season at an address registered to his wife. The story also said that Major League Baseball asked the Giants to leave the veteran outfielder out of their postseason plans because of the ongoing investigation. The first is true. The second, apparently, is not.
In all likelihood, the decision on Guillen was made for a variety of reasons. He did not hit with power down the stretch for the Giants and has become a pitiful defensive outfielder over the past few years. The neck injury definitely played a part. And the investigation definitely didn’t help anything.
Guillen, an impending free agent, is still waiting on word from the DEA and MLB commissioner’s office. It seems likely that he won’t have an agreement with a big league club before the start of spring training.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (123)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)