Oct 30, 2010, 8:48 AM EDT
Now that the Mets have locked up new general manager Sandy Alderson, it’s time to begin the search for a skipper.
Alderson is expected to lead the hunt and told Steve Popper of the Bergen Record on Friday that he is hoping for someone with a little fire and a decent level of independence.
“I think that we’re looking for somebody that fits intellectual requirements, but also intuitive and emotional ones,” Alderson said. “That manager may have experience. He may not have experience. We’re very open-minded about it at this point. But I do want to emphasize that whomever is selected is going to be the manager and making those decisions. Needs to have a certain level of independence, obviously, in order to accomplish what he needs to accomplish.”
The Mets have not yet begun speaking with candidates because of their search for a GM, but possibilities include Rangers hitting coach Clint Hurdle, minor league manager Wally Backman, ESPN analyst Bobby Valentine and current Mets scout Bob Melvin. Former Mariners skipper Don Wakamatsu is also expected to get a look.
Managers have very little impact on the outcome of a game, let alone an entire season, but in New York it’s imperative to have a guy with thick skin and a guy that doesn’t mind the spotlight. The new Citi Field has yet to host a playoff baseball game and the Mets are hoping to change that under the guidance of new leadership.
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 5
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 37
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)