Oct 31, 2010, 11:56 AM EST
The free agent market will be fairly thin this winter, but that doesn’t mean the rumors won’t be flying.
Paul Konerko, a free agent, posted a stellar .312/.393/.584 batting line in 2010 with 39 home runs and 111 RBI. The on-base and slugging percentages were career highs.
The White Sox never engaged in talks toward an extension with Konerko during the season, which indicates that they are prepared to let him walk. And there will be no shortage of teams looking for a solid power bat. In fact, one club has already thrown its hat in the ring.
Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reports that the Diamondbacks have expressed interest in the free agent and have made signing him an “offseason priority.”
Konerko grew up in Scottsdale, Arizona and still makes his home there. Turning 35 in March, he might be attracted by the idea of settling down near his home. And playing in the hitting-friendly confines of Chase Field should suit him well.
If the D’Backs do sign Konerko, it probably means that Adam LaRoche will not be brought back. He has a $7.5 million mutual option for 2011 that comes with a $1.5 million buyout.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 19
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)