Oct 31, 2010, 12:35 PM EDT
Giants left-hander Jonathan Sanchez allowed four runs on six hits and three walks Saturday in San Francisco’s World Series Game 3 loss to the Rangers. Before that, he was touched up for two earned runs in a two-inning outing against the Phillies. He’s in line to make another start at the end of the seven-game Fall Classic, but many are arguing that he shouldn’t be allowed to take the hill again. And it’s not a bad argument.
Sanchez, 27, threw a career-high 193.1 innings during the 2010 regular season and has tacked on another 20 frames since the playoffs began. His highest innings total before 2010 was 163.1. He is tired, and it’s showing on the diminished velocity of his fastball and the lack of effectiveness seen on his breaking pitches.
The Giants might be wise to go with 21-year-old Madison Bumgarner in a potential Game 7. Sanchez is more experienced, sure, but he bears little resemblance right now to the crafty southpaw that struck out 205 batters during the regular season. Bumgarner, meanwhile, only seems to be getting stronger.
Sanchez told Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News that he feels “good” and that he’s not “down” about his poor postseason efforts. But that’s what any prideful pitcher is going to say.
The right move for Giants manager Bruce Bochy is to trust the youngster.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)