Oct 31, 2010, 3:35 PM EDT
This picture of a second grader dressed as Rangers manager Ron Washington got a lot of play on the worldwide web this past week.
It also got the Rangers’ attention and they have invited the young man, seven-year-old Liam Roybal, to exclaim “Play Ball!” before Sunday’s World Series Game 3 in Texas.
Leigh Munsil of The Dallas Morning News caught up with Roybal this weekend. He first wore the costume at a church festival in the Dallas area and then at a Career Day. His parents eventually posted pictures of the getup on Facebook, and it spread from there.
“He is absolutely excited, he’s kind of bouncing off the walls right now,” mother Ami Roybal said. “We all sat around the table and laughed about it. We said, ‘You might really look like Ron Washington when you shave your head.'”
And he most definitely does. Lineups and pregame notes should be coming out shortly for Game 4.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)