Oct 31, 2010, 3:35 PM EDT
This picture of a second grader dressed as Rangers manager Ron Washington got a lot of play on the worldwide web this past week.
It also got the Rangers’ attention and they have invited the young man, seven-year-old Liam Roybal, to exclaim “Play Ball!” before Sunday’s World Series Game 3 in Texas.
Leigh Munsil of The Dallas Morning News caught up with Roybal this weekend. He first wore the costume at a church festival in the Dallas area and then at a Career Day. His parents eventually posted pictures of the getup on Facebook, and it spread from there.
“He is absolutely excited, he’s kind of bouncing off the walls right now,” mother Ami Roybal said. “We all sat around the table and laughed about it. We said, ‘You might really look like Ron Washington when you shave your head.’”
And he most definitely does. Lineups and pregame notes should be coming out shortly for Game 4.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 34
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'