Oct 31, 2010, 10:39 AM EDT
How quickly opinions change.
Down 2-0 in the World Series entering this busy sports weekend, some Rangers fans were pushing for the club to start ace left-hander Cliff Lee in Game 4. But that kind of talk mostly took place before Texas won Game 3 and now it appears that manager Ron Washington will stick to his guns.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com says that Tommy Hunter will start tonight’s Game 4 in Arlington, Texas and that Lee will be held off until Game 5.
It’s the right move. Lee has never pitched on three days’ rest in the postseason and wasn’t exactly a world-beater in his first 2010 Fall Classic start back in Game 1. The extra day should help and he should dominate on the familiar Texas mound.
Hunter will need to be at his best tonight to accomplish the same goal. He’s made two starts in these playoffs and allowed six runs in 7.1 innings.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 5
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 44
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 107
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (83)