And That Happened: World Series Edition

Nov 1, 2010, 5:43 AM EST

Giants' Posey hits a solo home run against the Rangers in the eighth inning during Game 4 of Major League Baseball's World Series in Arlington

Giants 4, Rangers 0: Not much to say about this that D.J. didn’t already say. Just two minor observations:

1. Let the record reflect that the Braves — easily the weakest of the eight playoff teams this year — played the Giants more closely than either the Phillies or the Rangers; and

2. Unless the Rangers’ bats wake up, we’re going to have our sixth World Series in seven years in which the losing team couldn’t even push it to six games. We really haven’t had a good World Series since 2002. That’s a bit of a shame.

Tonight is the last chance for a monster pitching matchup — Lincecum and Lee — to live up to the hype. The way things have gone, I’m not holding my breath.

1. mangothefruit - Nov 1, 2010 at 5:52 AM

You’re right, there hasn’t been a late-inning (7-8-9) come from behind win in a World Series game since Game 4 of 2006, when it was 3-2 Tigers entering the bottom of the 7th and the Cardinals won 5-4. Since then, every team that’s been ahead by the 6th inning has gone on to win the game.

2. proudlycanadian - Nov 1, 2010 at 8:07 AM

The Giants win the World Series! The Giants win the World Series! Just practicing.

3. Jonny 5 - Nov 1, 2010 at 8:21 AM

More importantly….. The Ratings, oh my gawwwd, think of the ratings…… Ugggh, they might just be the lowest ratings ever…. The HORROR!!!!

Can someone explain to me why this matters? Just kinda curious. Because it is mentioned every single day by someone. And unless you have major shares of Fox in your portfolio, I fail to see why anyone would give a damn.

• Ari Collins - Nov 1, 2010 at 8:44 AM

^^ this

• mangothefruit - Nov 1, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Yep, I coudn’t care less. I’m actually glad ESPN doesn’t spend every second of the day analyzing baseball. Leave that to favreball, I mean, football.

• scatterbrian - Nov 1, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Football is easier to predict than baseball. This leads to way more gambling on football, as well as more casual fans being able to follow and participate in fantasy football and office pools. Baseball has lost the casual fans to football. But, as Craig pointed out a few days ago, I’d much rather listen to the Pixies than Creed.

4. alexo0 - Nov 1, 2010 at 10:58 AM

I think the only way to fix this problem is to expand the playoffs. This would dilute the quality of teams that make the playoffs, thus leading to greater competitive balance and more dramatic matchups.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester