Armando Galarraga honored at ironic rally by pseudomedia

Nov 1, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT

Joyce blown call

Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga was honored at the Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert “Rally to Restore Sanity” over the weekend. The reason: his calm, non-psycho response to getting boned out of his perfect game by the Jim Joyce call.

The more time goes on, the more I am convinced that Joyce blowing that call was the best thing that ever could have happened to Galarraga. With all of the no-hitters last year, Galarraga’s perfecto could have been lost in the crowd. Indeed, given Galarraga’s overall poor season, it may have been the answer to a trivia question about “who was the worst pitcher to ever throw a perfect game” some day. At least with the blown call Galarraga has gotten (a) sympathy; and (b) attention for being a good guy as opposed to being a fluke pitcher.

1. Utley's Hair - Nov 1, 2010 at 1:53 PM

That rally was awesome. And at the risk of setting off some kind of pro “wrestling” diatribe, Mick Foley was also honored for a reasonableness award.

• Kevin S. - Nov 1, 2010 at 3:17 PM

I generally mock pro wrestling every chance I get, but it certainly seemed as though Foley fully deserved that award. Were you there? We had a blast.

• Utley's Hair - Nov 1, 2010 at 3:53 PM

No. I watched it on Comedy Central. I especially liked the Ozzie-Yusuf battle of the trains. But I did switch back and forth to MSNBC to see if there were any reports of earthquakes or tsunamis due to the Mythbusters guys’ experiments.

2. solidzac - Nov 1, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Forget diatribes, Foley is one of two or three greatest athletes of the last 25 years, at least.

Also, I think it’s a serous misreading to call the rally “ironic” in any way. Regardless of what you think of Stewart and Colbert (“psuedomedia” is also not a term i would agree with) I think they’re sincere.

• mschempp - Nov 1, 2010 at 4:25 PM

I agree with Stewart, but called Colbert sincere is like calling Jonathan Swift sincere. Even if it’s true, it isn’t helpful.

• Utley's Hair - Nov 1, 2010 at 4:49 PM

I don’t think that Stewart’s point would have been possible without Colbert’s. It underscored the fact that both sides are yammering on like the other is the antichrist, which drove home Stewart’s “hard times, not end times” point.

• solidzac - Nov 1, 2010 at 6:18 PM

One can’t be sincere in their satire? Swift wasn’t making a real point in his mockery? I don’t think satire is satire without sincerity – it’s, I don’t know, silliness or something.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto