Nov 1, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga was honored at the Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert “Rally to Restore Sanity” over the weekend. The reason: his calm, non-psycho response to getting boned out of his perfect game by the Jim Joyce call.
The more time goes on, the more I am convinced that Joyce blowing that call was the best thing that ever could have happened to Galarraga. With all of the no-hitters last year, Galarraga’s perfecto could have been lost in the crowd. Indeed, given Galarraga’s overall poor season, it may have been the answer to a trivia question about “who was the worst pitcher to ever throw a perfect game” some day. At least with the blown call Galarraga has gotten (a) sympathy; and (b) attention for being a good guy as opposed to being a fluke pitcher.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)