Nov 1, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga was honored at the Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert “Rally to Restore Sanity” over the weekend. The reason: his calm, non-psycho response to getting boned out of his perfect game by the Jim Joyce call.
The more time goes on, the more I am convinced that Joyce blowing that call was the best thing that ever could have happened to Galarraga. With all of the no-hitters last year, Galarraga’s perfecto could have been lost in the crowd. Indeed, given Galarraga’s overall poor season, it may have been the answer to a trivia question about “who was the worst pitcher to ever throw a perfect game” some day. At least with the blown call Galarraga has gotten (a) sympathy; and (b) attention for being a good guy as opposed to being a fluke pitcher.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 0
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 45
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 24
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 35
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)