Nov 1, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga was honored at the Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert “Rally to Restore Sanity” over the weekend. The reason: his calm, non-psycho response to getting boned out of his perfect game by the Jim Joyce call.
The more time goes on, the more I am convinced that Joyce blowing that call was the best thing that ever could have happened to Galarraga. With all of the no-hitters last year, Galarraga’s perfecto could have been lost in the crowd. Indeed, given Galarraga’s overall poor season, it may have been the answer to a trivia question about “who was the worst pitcher to ever throw a perfect game” some day. At least with the blown call Galarraga has gotten (a) sympathy; and (b) attention for being a good guy as opposed to being a fluke pitcher.
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 0
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 24
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 67
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 74
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)