Nov 1, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga was honored at the Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert “Rally to Restore Sanity” over the weekend. The reason: his calm, non-psycho response to getting boned out of his perfect game by the Jim Joyce call.
The more time goes on, the more I am convinced that Joyce blowing that call was the best thing that ever could have happened to Galarraga. With all of the no-hitters last year, Galarraga’s perfecto could have been lost in the crowd. Indeed, given Galarraga’s overall poor season, it may have been the answer to a trivia question about “who was the worst pitcher to ever throw a perfect game” some day. At least with the blown call Galarraga has gotten (a) sympathy; and (b) attention for being a good guy as opposed to being a fluke pitcher.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)