Nov 1, 2010, 12:03 PM EST
Here’s Buster Olney this morning, suggesting that Carl Crawford might have something against the Red Sox and Yankees:
. . . if everything is equal — if the Red Sox or the Yankees make the same level of offer as the Angels — do not underestimate the impact of the fact that Crawford has built up a competitive callous against Boston and New York in his career. For years, he has been battling against the Red Sox and Yankees, and he will need to be convinced to join them, according to a friend.
I consider this to be in the same vein as “Cliff Lee’s wife hates New York.” Can you dismiss it entirely? No, but you can’t really think this means a whole hell of a lot either. Heck, it probably means less than the Kristen Lee thing on the theory that a guy’s friends — especially anonymous friends — are full of more bullcrap than a guy’s wife is (feel free to argue this point in the comments). In reality, the offers being presented, in terms of both money and role on the team, are about 77 times more important to any given free agent than the emotional/lifestyle stuff we hear so much about in the early stages of the offseason.
A “competitive callous?” Whatever. You can buy a lot of pumice stones and moisturizer with the kind of dough the Red Sox or Yankees may offer up.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (225)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)