Nov 1, 2010, 12:03 PM EDT
Here’s Buster Olney this morning, suggesting that Carl Crawford might have something against the Red Sox and Yankees:
. . . if everything is equal — if the Red Sox or the Yankees make the same level of offer as the Angels — do not underestimate the impact of the fact that Crawford has built up a competitive callous against Boston and New York in his career. For years, he has been battling against the Red Sox and Yankees, and he will need to be convinced to join them, according to a friend.
I consider this to be in the same vein as “Cliff Lee’s wife hates New York.” Can you dismiss it entirely? No, but you can’t really think this means a whole hell of a lot either. Heck, it probably means less than the Kristen Lee thing on the theory that a guy’s friends — especially anonymous friends — are full of more bullcrap than a guy’s wife is (feel free to argue this point in the comments). In reality, the offers being presented, in terms of both money and role on the team, are about 77 times more important to any given free agent than the emotional/lifestyle stuff we hear so much about in the early stages of the offseason.
A “competitive callous?” Whatever. You can buy a lot of pumice stones and moisturizer with the kind of dough the Red Sox or Yankees may offer up.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 27
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 57
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)