Nov 1, 2010, 6:40 PM EDT
Anyway, one of the notable things to take away from today is that Daniels told Jeff Kaplan of ESPNDallas.com that he expects Neftali Feliz to remain in the closer role next season.
“Probably the two questions were can he close and can he start?” Daniels said. “You knew that somewhere that arm is going to play. I think we’ve definitively answered one of them. There’s no doubt in anybody’s mind he can close. We don’t know whether he can start and I don’t know if we’re going to find out. We’ve talked about it at some point that we might. We’re not going to close that door, but we’re also not going to speculate on it any more than is necessary. He’s our closer. I would expect he’ll be our closer.”
Feliz, 22, compiled a 2.73 ERA, 71/18 K/BB ratio over 69 1/3 innings during the regular season. He also set a major league rookie record by notching 40 saves in 43 chances.
It’s difficult to mess with a good thing, but Feliz obviously could provide much more value to the team in the long-term if he is moved to the starting rotation. We’ll have plenty of time to talk about the Rangers’ offseason plans once this series is over, but it will be interesting to see if Daniels wavers a bit on this should Cliff Lee sign elsewhere this winter.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 60
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 53
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)