Nov 1, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
Here are the lineups for Game 5 of the World Series:
GIANTS RANGERS 1. Andres Torres, RF 1. Elvis Andrus, SS 2. Freddy Sanchez, 2B 2. Michael Young, 3B 3. Buster Posey, C 3. Josh Hamilton, CF 4. Cody Ross, LF 4. Vladimir Guerrero, DH 5. Juan Uribe, 3B 5. Nelson Cruz, RF 6. Aubrey Huff, 1B 6. Ian Kinsler, 2B 7. Pat Burrell, DH 7. David Murphy, LF 8. Edgar Renteria, SS 8. Bengie Molina, C 9. Aaron Rowand, CF 9. Mitch Moreland, 1B
While the Rangers are going with their now-standard playoff lineup versus right-handed pitching, the Giants have made several changes.
Pat Burrell rejoins the lineup after sitting out Game 4, but does so while in the No. 7 spot after previously hitting fourth or fifth throughout the postseason. Burrell is just 6-for-38 (.158) with 19 strikeouts in the playoffs, but manager Bruce Bochy still wants his right-handed bat in there versus left-hander Cliff Lee.
Burrell serving as the designated hitter opens up an outfield spot for another right-handed hitter, Aaron Rowand, to make his first start since Game 4 of the NLCS. That moves Andres Torres to right field and gives the Giants a very strong defensive outfield to support Tim Lincecum. Oh, and Cody Ross is now the cleanup hitter for a team one victory from winning the World Series, which is easily the craziest sentence I’ve typed all season.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 1
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 35
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 78
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 19
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 8
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 63
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (146)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)