Nov 1, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
Here are the lineups for Game 5 of the World Series:
GIANTS RANGERS 1. Andres Torres, RF 1. Elvis Andrus, SS 2. Freddy Sanchez, 2B 2. Michael Young, 3B 3. Buster Posey, C 3. Josh Hamilton, CF 4. Cody Ross, LF 4. Vladimir Guerrero, DH 5. Juan Uribe, 3B 5. Nelson Cruz, RF 6. Aubrey Huff, 1B 6. Ian Kinsler, 2B 7. Pat Burrell, DH 7. David Murphy, LF 8. Edgar Renteria, SS 8. Bengie Molina, C 9. Aaron Rowand, CF 9. Mitch Moreland, 1B
While the Rangers are going with their now-standard playoff lineup versus right-handed pitching, the Giants have made several changes.
Pat Burrell rejoins the lineup after sitting out Game 4, but does so while in the No. 7 spot after previously hitting fourth or fifth throughout the postseason. Burrell is just 6-for-38 (.158) with 19 strikeouts in the playoffs, but manager Bruce Bochy still wants his right-handed bat in there versus left-hander Cliff Lee.
Burrell serving as the designated hitter opens up an outfield spot for another right-handed hitter, Aaron Rowand, to make his first start since Game 4 of the NLCS. That moves Andres Torres to right field and gives the Giants a very strong defensive outfield to support Tim Lincecum. Oh, and Cody Ross is now the cleanup hitter for a team one victory from winning the World Series, which is easily the craziest sentence I’ve typed all season.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 15
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 29
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 25
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 58
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)