Nov 1, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
Here are the lineups for Game 5 of the World Series:
GIANTS RANGERS 1. Andres Torres, RF 1. Elvis Andrus, SS 2. Freddy Sanchez, 2B 2. Michael Young, 3B 3. Buster Posey, C 3. Josh Hamilton, CF 4. Cody Ross, LF 4. Vladimir Guerrero, DH 5. Juan Uribe, 3B 5. Nelson Cruz, RF 6. Aubrey Huff, 1B 6. Ian Kinsler, 2B 7. Pat Burrell, DH 7. David Murphy, LF 8. Edgar Renteria, SS 8. Bengie Molina, C 9. Aaron Rowand, CF 9. Mitch Moreland, 1B
While the Rangers are going with their now-standard playoff lineup versus right-handed pitching, the Giants have made several changes.
Pat Burrell rejoins the lineup after sitting out Game 4, but does so while in the No. 7 spot after previously hitting fourth or fifth throughout the postseason. Burrell is just 6-for-38 (.158) with 19 strikeouts in the playoffs, but manager Bruce Bochy still wants his right-handed bat in there versus left-hander Cliff Lee.
Burrell serving as the designated hitter opens up an outfield spot for another right-handed hitter, Aaron Rowand, to make his first start since Game 4 of the NLCS. That moves Andres Torres to right field and gives the Giants a very strong defensive outfield to support Tim Lincecum. Oh, and Cody Ross is now the cleanup hitter for a team one victory from winning the World Series, which is easily the craziest sentence I’ve typed all season.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)