Nov 1, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
Here are the lineups for Game 5 of the World Series:
GIANTS RANGERS 1. Andres Torres, RF 1. Elvis Andrus, SS 2. Freddy Sanchez, 2B 2. Michael Young, 3B 3. Buster Posey, C 3. Josh Hamilton, CF 4. Cody Ross, LF 4. Vladimir Guerrero, DH 5. Juan Uribe, 3B 5. Nelson Cruz, RF 6. Aubrey Huff, 1B 6. Ian Kinsler, 2B 7. Pat Burrell, DH 7. David Murphy, LF 8. Edgar Renteria, SS 8. Bengie Molina, C 9. Aaron Rowand, CF 9. Mitch Moreland, 1B
While the Rangers are going with their now-standard playoff lineup versus right-handed pitching, the Giants have made several changes.
Pat Burrell rejoins the lineup after sitting out Game 4, but does so while in the No. 7 spot after previously hitting fourth or fifth throughout the postseason. Burrell is just 6-for-38 (.158) with 19 strikeouts in the playoffs, but manager Bruce Bochy still wants his right-handed bat in there versus left-hander Cliff Lee.
Burrell serving as the designated hitter opens up an outfield spot for another right-handed hitter, Aaron Rowand, to make his first start since Game 4 of the NLCS. That moves Andres Torres to right field and gives the Giants a very strong defensive outfield to support Tim Lincecum. Oh, and Cody Ross is now the cleanup hitter for a team one victory from winning the World Series, which is easily the craziest sentence I’ve typed all season.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 0
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 54
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)