Nov 1, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
Here are the lineups for Game 5 of the World Series:
GIANTS RANGERS 1. Andres Torres, RF 1. Elvis Andrus, SS 2. Freddy Sanchez, 2B 2. Michael Young, 3B 3. Buster Posey, C 3. Josh Hamilton, CF 4. Cody Ross, LF 4. Vladimir Guerrero, DH 5. Juan Uribe, 3B 5. Nelson Cruz, RF 6. Aubrey Huff, 1B 6. Ian Kinsler, 2B 7. Pat Burrell, DH 7. David Murphy, LF 8. Edgar Renteria, SS 8. Bengie Molina, C 9. Aaron Rowand, CF 9. Mitch Moreland, 1B
While the Rangers are going with their now-standard playoff lineup versus right-handed pitching, the Giants have made several changes.
Pat Burrell rejoins the lineup after sitting out Game 4, but does so while in the No. 7 spot after previously hitting fourth or fifth throughout the postseason. Burrell is just 6-for-38 (.158) with 19 strikeouts in the playoffs, but manager Bruce Bochy still wants his right-handed bat in there versus left-hander Cliff Lee.
Burrell serving as the designated hitter opens up an outfield spot for another right-handed hitter, Aaron Rowand, to make his first start since Game 4 of the NLCS. That moves Andres Torres to right field and gives the Giants a very strong defensive outfield to support Tim Lincecum. Oh, and Cody Ross is now the cleanup hitter for a team one victory from winning the World Series, which is easily the craziest sentence I’ve typed all season.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)