Nov 1, 2010, 4:48 PM EST
As expected, the Rangers have removed Alexi Ogando from the playoff roster following his oblique injury last night and replaced him with Dustin Nippert.
It’s a tough break for the Rangers, who were already without their top right-handed setup man in Frank Francisco. Ogando emerged as a viable alternative with a 1.30 ERA in 41.2 regular season innings and six innings of one-run ball this postseason, but now his injury leaves Darren Oliver and Darren O’Day to do an awful lot of heavy lifting in front of closer Neftali Feliz.
And since Ron Washington uses Feliz in such a rigid way the Rangers’ middle relievers and setup men have longer gaps to the closer to bridge than they should anyway. If the Rangers call Nippert into a game then you know something went terribly wrong, because he’s a 29-year-old with a 5.31 ERA in 268 career innings.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)