The Athletics name their new pitching coach

Nov 1, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT

Ron Romanick

You may want to sit down for this, but the A’s have named Ron Romanick their new pitching coach. He was formerly their bullpen coach.

I know. I reacted the same way. In fact, I’ll always remember where I was when I heard the news. Everything is different now. It’s like, everything that happened before I heard this news was in black and white and everything since is in crisply-rendered high definition.

Let’s see, what else . . . Romanick pitched in the big leagues for parts of three seasons with the Angels. They used to be called the California Angels then. His last game was on July 21, 1986. I was on a family vacation to Nova Scotia then. I remember this, because we left right after my 13th birthday, and that was a week before Romanick’s last game. So yeah, we were probably on Cape Breton looking at lobster traps or something around then.  Fun trip, though. We took the car ferry from Yarmouth back to Portland, Maine and since we were in international waters then, 13 year-old kids could play the slot machines. That’s about all I got on Romanick, folks.  If anyone has anything more to add, I’ll consider updating.

Oh, and, um, sorry about the weird pic of him. I know it kind of looks like a hostage “proof of life” photo, but it was the only one of him in an Athletics uniform I could find on the whole Internet.

1. skerney - Nov 1, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Now the bullpen catcher becomes the bullpen coach, the clubbie becomes the bullpen catcher, and stomper the elephant becomes the clubbie. This is how they do it in the 209.

• jhu1997 - Nov 1, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Not in this economy. They’ll just make Stomper work twice as hard.

2. proudlycanadian - Nov 1, 2010 at 5:46 PM

When the Jays made Bruce Walton, their former bullpen coach their pitching coach in 2010, the move worked out very well. This move by Oakland could have similar results.

3. raffy7 - Nov 2, 2010 at 3:34 PM

I don’t understand why Craig keeps going back to the same snotty method of reporting minor baseball news. Over and over again – always sarcastically claiming that it is earth-shattering, in order to show how non-major the news is.
    Not a major news story – we get it!
    Obviously, Oakland’s hiring of Romanick as pitching coach is not as significant as where Cliff Lee will land, but can’t you just report the news without that same tired joke? Seriously I’ve seen it so many times on this site- whenever a minor free agent signs, or a minor trade is made. If its that minor, you don’t have to report on it.

To be honest, the A’s had one of the best pitching staffs in baseball last year (I am not an A’s fan by the way), so their hiring of Ron Romanick as their new pitching coach is newsworthy to some degree. No?

4. burtkauf - Nov 2, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Good luck to him. If he can do half as well as Curt Young we’ll be lucky. The A’s are down to three good pitchers and that’s about it will they stick around without any support?
    PS Billy Beane has not made the World series. His manager Geren, who he chose over Washington has not had a winning season in his three years. Washington has had two winning seasons in his first tow years. Go A’s

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2952)