The Giants are World Champs!

Nov 1, 2010, 10:33 PM EDT

San Francisco Giants v Texas Rangers, Game 5 Getty Images

The Giants win Game 5 3-1, and win the World Series four games to one behind a big night from Tim Lincecum and a big three-run home run by Edgar Renteria.  This was, by far, the best game of the World Series, with a Lincecum-Lee pitchers’ duel for the ages suddenly punctuated by a thunderbolt from the bat of Renteria.

The World Series MVP has not been announced yet — they’re still jumping around on the field — but if it’s not Renteria the Gods have gone crazy.

We’ll obviously have additional coverage and analysis tonight and on through tomorrow morning.

Congratulations to the San Francisco Giants, 2010 World Series champs!

1. Lukehart80 - Nov 1, 2010 at 10:40 PM

That Edgar Renteria sure has a knack for BIG hits…

• Old Gator - Nov 1, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Yup. Game 7, 1997. I was there…another dull series into which El Nino managed to put a terminal charge.

• bigharold - Nov 1, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Not according to RS fans.

2. Old Gator - Nov 1, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Calling this “the most interesting game” of a snoozefest of a series is an understatement to rival Oscar Wilde’s deathbed comment about his wallpaper. The Rangers brought their “F’ game (inviting Shrub to throw out a ball along with his smarter older daddy was indicative of how desperate they had become) and the Giants made it look easy because the Rangers made it look hopeless.

Well, congratulations to the Jints – I wouldn’t mind being up on Columbus Avenue tonight dipping a roast beef hoagy in a calda bragna and slurping a garlic milkshake at The Stinking Rose while watching the doings out on the street from a safe vantage point.

On the other hand, thank Buddha this excruciatingly dull Series is over. Bud Light ought to consider a consolation series among the playoff washouts when the real thing is as boring as this one was, in hopes that statistically, at least one round of games ought to be a nailbiter. Another thing that might work: having some of you hot stove freaks live blogging your games, in the spirit of Jack Nicholson’s fantasy world series narration in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. Now that was an exciting World Series game!

3. Jason @ IIATMS - Nov 1, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Frenchy denied but Burrell gets a ring.

No justice in this world

• Jonny 5 - Nov 2, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Correction: Burrell gets yet another ring. Benji Molina get’s one too from his WS competitor, as well as playoff payoff from both teams. I think that’s how it’s going down.

I concur,There truly is no justice in this world.

4. hermitfool - Nov 1, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Gator,

Why do you continue to befoul a perfectly good baseball site with your political crappola? Please eave it at home, Bro.

• Old Gator - Nov 1, 2010 at 11:40 PM

‘Twasn’t me who invited a mass murdering war criminal to throw out a first pitch. If Greenberg and Ryan had left that corrupt lying dimwit at home, I’d’ve left my comment there too.

• apbaguy - Nov 2, 2010 at 12:27 AM

Never forget, never surrender!

• Old Gator - Nov 2, 2010 at 12:40 AM

Now I don’t care how you do it, but you must sink the Bismarck!

• Jonny 5 - Nov 2, 2010 at 8:30 AM

“corrupt lying dimwit ” I didn’t see our entire Senate at the game. Was the House of Reps there ??

• Old Gator - Nov 2, 2010 at 8:55 AM

No, or I would have written “corrupt lying dimwits.”

• Old Gator - Nov 2, 2010 at 8:57 AM

No, or I would have written “those corrupt lying dimwits.”

• Jonny 5 - Nov 2, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Oh, well not me. I consider them to only illuminate the equivalent of one Lumen. All of their brain power working together as one is almost equal to one dimwit. So given the benefit of doubt, i’ll give them that much. House of reps = one big dimwit. The Senate = the other big dimwit. Seriously.

• Old Gator - Nov 2, 2010 at 11:16 AM

I hate it when I agree with someone so completely that I can’t think of a witty riposte. I feel like Bob Hope in Critic’s Choice.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 2, 2010 at 12:30 PM

I love your use of that word, but between You and I sir, “Rispote” may not be the proper term. I think Repartee would be more proper. As I see it anyway. ;)

5. sailcat54 - Nov 1, 2010 at 11:05 PM

It was a snoozefest for anybody but a connoisseur of fine pitching! This was a classic WS and the Giants won what was rightfully theirs! My daughter lives in SF, by the way, and she says it’s crazy right now! Woohoo!

• Old Gator - Nov 1, 2010 at 11:44 PM

I am a connoisseur of fine pitching and I applaud the Jints staff, but a game needs to be a little less one-sided for more than one side to be interesting. The Rangers played listless, uninspired baseball and their lack of fire and concentration dragged down the entire proceeding. Last year’s series was far more intense all around, much closer to a “classic.” There’s nothing “classic” about a lopsided five game series.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 2, 2010 at 8:32 AM

The Phills / Giants series was a little better than this one. Or was it just me??? hmm???

6. thelucasjj - Nov 1, 2010 at 11:11 PM

This last game was great, particularly for a Giants fan, but if I wasn’t a Giants fan the rest of the games wouldn’t have been that captivating. I am happy they won. and will not even curse my hang over tomorrow at work.

7. drowningboy - Nov 1, 2010 at 11:50 PM

giants win the Series!!! Steve Perry still ugly.

8. gogigantos - Nov 2, 2010 at 2:15 PM

I don’t know where to post this, maybe many times
    Man oh man, this feels good,,,,,
    It’s all in the breaks, and some dominant pitching doesn’t hurt. It was a good post season. Texas crushing the A.L. was awesome. Nolan Ryan busting out some geriatric heat is way cool. Halladay’s no hitter is for the ages. But, the breaks, he is beaten on a gimpy leg by some destined Giants led by a mystically freaky Lincecum learning a slider in the last couple months, and some castoff named Ross. The mighty Lee, acquired on borrowed money?, is beaten twice!? Renteria adds rises from the ashes and adds to his legend?! Ross and Renteria werent’ even starters in September! In any championship there is magic and beauty. The highlights belong to SF. Anybody harping or whining about some other’s failings is not seeing the beauty of something achieved and won. I don’t know if anybody reads Murray Chass anymore, but why is a great old writer so hung up on harping on the negatives, the failings of individual’s when the team game gives us beauty. It ends on a great match-up that met all the hype of a duel for the ages. The Giants had better at bats, something to say for a team that didn’t seem to take consistently good at bats until the post season. The mighty Lee lost not giving in to one he maybe should have let pass. Always the underdog, nobody seemed to notice that this was the best pitching staff in the N.L. This is a young pitching staff for the ages. Is it because they call him Freak that he is assumed to be the lesser of Halladay and Lee? Not after this past month, eh. Two CyYoungs and thrice leading the N.L. in strike outs, maybe he is for real. He was most real and nearly unhitable today. Still, it takes magic and fortune. Of the first 50! runs the Giants scored in the post season, 30!!!! came with two outs, this from a team that reportedly couldn’t score. Fortune smiling on a team suddenly taking great at bats that, as a team, they had not done before. This team got better as they faced the next challenge. I’m not gonna go on. I am gonna bask in a dream I had truly come to believe would never come true. But, as I watched this team grow through the season, and blossom in the post season, I came to believe. As I watched Lincecum and this squad, I got a stronger and stronger feeling we were gonna win??! The wheels were not gonna come off this time and my heart would not be broken and all would somehow be strange in the universe. “And a child shall lead them” Leading in was talk about the Rookie of the Year winner. The serious hardware has been won don’t you think? Lincecum Posey is the first all Golden Spikes post season battery. How young are Bumgardner and Posey together, I am barely younger than the two combined! This was good ball, this was a solid beat down from a monster young pitching staff. This was a gift long thought never to come, and it that it came so unexpected and executed so well makes it all so so so much sweeter. Baseball is beautiful, and this is sweet.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3482)