Nov 2, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
As expected, the Brewers have declined their 2011 options on three veterans: Trevor Hoffman, Doug Davis, and Gregg Zaun.
Hoffman gets a $750,000 buyout rather than the $7 million option after losing the closer job early in the season and posting the worst ERA of his Hall of Fame career at 5.89. At age 42 he may opt to retire with a record 601 career saves.
Davis receives a $1 million buyout in place of a $6.5 million mutual option. He came back from a heart condition and elbow problems to start eight games for the Brewers, but posted a 7.51 ERA and underwent elbow surgery last month that puts his 2011 status in serious doubt.
Zaun gets a $250,000 buyout instead of a $2.25 million option after missing nearly the entire season with a shoulder injury that required surgery in June. Zaun has indicated that he plans to play in 2011 at age 40, but will likely have to accept a minor-league contract and shot at a backup job.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 22
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 37
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 138
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (140)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (138)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)