Nov 2, 2010, 9:29 PM EDT
According to Dan Hayes of the North County Times, Jon Garland declined his $6.75 mutual option with the Padres for 2011 and will test the free agent waters. Per the terms of his contract, the veteran right-hander will receive a $300,000 buyout from the club.
Garland, who turned 31 in September, went 14-12 with a 3.47 ERA over 33 starts with the Padres this past season. He averaged a career-high 6.1 K/9, but also saw his walk rate jump from 2.8 BB/9 last season to 3.9 BB/9.
He ended up being a pretty good bargain for the Padres on a one-year, $4.7 million contract, though a pretty fortunate batting average on balls in play and pitching at PETCO Park (3.00 ERA at home, 4.01 ERA away) certainly helped.
With a pretty thin market for free agent starters this winter, Garland will rightfully look to cash in with a multi-year contract. He’s a reliable innings-eater, but to expect a repeat in a more hitter-friendly environment would be foolish.
For what it’s worth, Garland ranked No. 21 on Matthew Pouliot’s list of the Top 111 free agents.
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 2
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 56
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 48
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 9
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games