Nov 2, 2010, 8:01 PM EDT
New Mets GM Sandy Alderson has already secured one of his former trusted lieutenants. During a conference call just a short while ago, former Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi was officially added to the Mets’ front office under the title of special assistant to the general manager. We’re a long way from Tony Bernazard, folks.
Here’s Alderson’s statement on Ricciardi, via a team press release:
“J.P. brings a wealth of knowledge and a breadth of experience to the organization,” said Alderson. “I worked with him for over a decade in Oakland and I know first hand he’s a superb talent evaluator. He’ll be a tremendous resource in a variety of areas.”
Interestingly, according to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger, Ricciardi said he turned down a long-standing offer from the Red Sox in order to reunite with his former boss in Queens.
According to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Alderson said it was possible that he will add yet another member to his front office in the next week or so. Early speculation is that Alderson hopes to hire Athletics special assistant and known “draft guru” Grady Fuson and/or Padres executive vice president Paul DePodesta.
It’s too bad the Giants have proved that this “Moneyball” stuff is complete B.S., huh?
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 16
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 15
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 41
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- Royals acquire ace Johnny Cueto from the Reds 71
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)