Nov 2, 2010, 8:01 PM EDT
New Mets GM Sandy Alderson has already secured one of his former trusted lieutenants. During a conference call just a short while ago, former Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi was officially added to the Mets’ front office under the title of special assistant to the general manager. We’re a long way from Tony Bernazard, folks.
Here’s Alderson’s statement on Ricciardi, via a team press release:
“J.P. brings a wealth of knowledge and a breadth of experience to the organization,” said Alderson. “I worked with him for over a decade in Oakland and I know first hand he’s a superb talent evaluator. He’ll be a tremendous resource in a variety of areas.”
Interestingly, according to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger, Ricciardi said he turned down a long-standing offer from the Red Sox in order to reunite with his former boss in Queens.
According to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Alderson said it was possible that he will add yet another member to his front office in the next week or so. Early speculation is that Alderson hopes to hire Athletics special assistant and known “draft guru” Grady Fuson and/or Padres executive vice president Paul DePodesta.
It’s too bad the Giants have proved that this “Moneyball” stuff is complete B.S., huh?
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)