Nov 2, 2010, 5:47 PM EST
Last week Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com wrote that Arizona has made signing free agent Paul Konerko “an offseason priority” and it sounds like the Diamondbacks won’t exercise a $7.5 million option on their own first baseman, Adam LaRoche.
However, Nick Piecero of the Arizona Republic is skeptical about the Diamondbacks actually making a heavy push to sign Konerko regardless of LaRoche’s status, writing: “The feeling I’m getting from club sources is that it probably won’t happen.”
Here’s more from Piecoro:
The biggest reason? Money. Konerko’s coming off a monster year and even if he were to take a hometown discount, Diamondbacks people still aren’t certain he would be affordable enough to fit into their budget. At least not with holes in the bullpen, rotation, bench and left field that will need to be addressed, as well.
Some wonder if he can play a full season at first base. He’ll be 35 next year and this season played 125 games at first and 23 games as the designated hitter. Plus, it sounds like the Diamondbacks will put a priority on defensive ability when it comes to first base, not a strong suit of Konerko’s. Anyway, I’m sure the Diamondbacks will talk with him, but unless he really wants to play here, I doubt it ends up happening.
It seems unlikely that the rebuilding, usually budget-conscious Diamondbacks would break the bank on a 35-year-old first baseman, and if signing Konerko won’t require breaking the bank then the White Sox will likely make a very strong effort to keep him.
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 0
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)