Nov 2, 2010, 5:47 PM EDT
Last week Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com wrote that Arizona has made signing free agent Paul Konerko “an offseason priority” and it sounds like the Diamondbacks won’t exercise a $7.5 million option on their own first baseman, Adam LaRoche.
However, Nick Piecero of the Arizona Republic is skeptical about the Diamondbacks actually making a heavy push to sign Konerko regardless of LaRoche’s status, writing: “The feeling I’m getting from club sources is that it probably won’t happen.”
Here’s more from Piecoro:
The biggest reason? Money. Konerko’s coming off a monster year and even if he were to take a hometown discount, Diamondbacks people still aren’t certain he would be affordable enough to fit into their budget. At least not with holes in the bullpen, rotation, bench and left field that will need to be addressed, as well.
Some wonder if he can play a full season at first base. He’ll be 35 next year and this season played 125 games at first and 23 games as the designated hitter. Plus, it sounds like the Diamondbacks will put a priority on defensive ability when it comes to first base, not a strong suit of Konerko’s. Anyway, I’m sure the Diamondbacks will talk with him, but unless he really wants to play here, I doubt it ends up happening.
It seems unlikely that the rebuilding, usually budget-conscious Diamondbacks would break the bank on a 35-year-old first baseman, and if signing Konerko won’t require breaking the bank then the White Sox will likely make a very strong effort to keep him.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)