Quote of the Day: Edgar Renteria

Nov 2, 2010, 3:28 PM EDT

San Francisco Giants v Texas Rangers, Game 5 Getty Images

“It means a lot because they signed me for two years, and I wasn’t able to do anything for them. They’ve always had my back. So I just wanted to do something for them because the GM, the manager, they supported me a lot and they waited for me to do something.”

Edgar Renteria, being impossibly gracious following his World Series-winning blast last night.

That comes from a most-excellent story on Renteria by ESPN’s Amy K. Nelson.  Be sure to read the part about the team meeting in Chicago towards the end of the regular season.

1. Jonny 5 - Nov 2, 2010 at 3:59 PM

I’ll tell you, I’m glad I saw that. I may have never known how much of a great guy he is. His performance was awesome and he totally deserved the MVP. If you have to leave out “the pitching staff” because besides that dirty Sanchez they were SOLID.

• Utley's Hair - Nov 2, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Sanchez? Who’s that? I know the Dwarves have two sanCHEZs, but not Sanchez.

2. twinsfn343 - Nov 2, 2010 at 4:00 PM

did anyone else notice the big cut on his eyelid caused from when the handed him the MVP trophy? damn near took his eye out!

3. lateralsymmetry - Nov 2, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Great article. You have to love moments like that, little humanizing glimpses into these storied figures.

Also, Amy K. Nelson consistently does a fantastic job over there.

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 2, 2010 at 5:25 PM

I always appreciate mature modesty. You deserve it, Edgar.

5. burtkauf - Nov 2, 2010 at 8:27 PM

RENTERIA – Just as we were about to bring up Renteria along with Guillen, Uribe and Ross as the next possible Giants user, based on his sudden improvement during September and October, after a totally lackluster several years with the Giants and object of much derision and trade bait. One homerun all season. Then, suddenly he starts hitting – a ‘Guillen’ last month and then he hits not one but two homers in the world series including the winning homerun! It’s not smoke and mirrors for a guy to suddenlly go from .240 the last three seasonsto .300+, triple his yearly homeruns in 5 games
    at an advance baseball age… But that’s not all. See http://www.RoadToSuccess.info for Top 10 Reasons Giants stole the Series….

6. willmose - Nov 2, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Edgar has always been a class guy and player that always gives his best.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3959)