Nov 2, 2010, 3:11 PM EDT
Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times just tweeted that “sources are saying that Brewers have hired Ron Roenicke” to be their new manager.
Cowley covers the White Sox, not the Brewers, but Chicago bench coach Joey Cora was in the mix for the Milwaukee job.
Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel passed along Cowley’s report and added: “I have reason to believe he is correct.”
Roenicke managed in the minors and has served as the Angels’ bench coach since 2006, when he took over the job after Mike Scioscia’s former right-hand man, Joe Maddon, left to manage the Rays.
Several previous reports had Bobby Valentine as the front-runner for the Milwaukee job, but apparently much like with the Marlins during the season his Brewers courtship broke down somewhere along the line.
UPDATE: Haudricourt has confirmed the news.
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 20
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 44
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 101
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 59