Nov 2, 2010, 3:11 PM EST
Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times just tweeted that “sources are saying that Brewers have hired Ron Roenicke” to be their new manager.
Cowley covers the White Sox, not the Brewers, but Chicago bench coach Joey Cora was in the mix for the Milwaukee job.
Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel passed along Cowley’s report and added: “I have reason to believe he is correct.”
Roenicke managed in the minors and has served as the Angels’ bench coach since 2006, when he took over the job after Mike Scioscia’s former right-hand man, Joe Maddon, left to manage the Rays.
Several previous reports had Bobby Valentine as the front-runner for the Milwaukee job, but apparently much like with the Marlins during the season his Brewers courtship broke down somewhere along the line.
UPDATE: Haudricourt has confirmed the news.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)