Nov 2, 2010, 3:11 PM EDT
Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times just tweeted that “sources are saying that Brewers have hired Ron Roenicke” to be their new manager.
Cowley covers the White Sox, not the Brewers, but Chicago bench coach Joey Cora was in the mix for the Milwaukee job.
Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel passed along Cowley’s report and added: “I have reason to believe he is correct.”
Roenicke managed in the minors and has served as the Angels’ bench coach since 2006, when he took over the job after Mike Scioscia’s former right-hand man, Joe Maddon, left to manage the Rays.
Several previous reports had Bobby Valentine as the front-runner for the Milwaukee job, but apparently much like with the Marlins during the season his Brewers courtship broke down somewhere along the line.
UPDATE: Haudricourt has confirmed the news.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 60
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)