Nov 2, 2010, 3:11 PM EST
Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times just tweeted that “sources are saying that Brewers have hired Ron Roenicke” to be their new manager.
Cowley covers the White Sox, not the Brewers, but Chicago bench coach Joey Cora was in the mix for the Milwaukee job.
Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel passed along Cowley’s report and added: “I have reason to believe he is correct.”
Roenicke managed in the minors and has served as the Angels’ bench coach since 2006, when he took over the job after Mike Scioscia’s former right-hand man, Joe Maddon, left to manage the Rays.
Several previous reports had Bobby Valentine as the front-runner for the Milwaukee job, but apparently much like with the Marlins during the season his Brewers courtship broke down somewhere along the line.
UPDATE: Haudricourt has confirmed the news.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)