Nov 2, 2010, 3:11 PM EDT
Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times just tweeted that “sources are saying that Brewers have hired Ron Roenicke” to be their new manager.
Cowley covers the White Sox, not the Brewers, but Chicago bench coach Joey Cora was in the mix for the Milwaukee job.
Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel passed along Cowley’s report and added: “I have reason to believe he is correct.”
Roenicke managed in the minors and has served as the Angels’ bench coach since 2006, when he took over the job after Mike Scioscia’s former right-hand man, Joe Maddon, left to manage the Rays.
Several previous reports had Bobby Valentine as the front-runner for the Milwaukee job, but apparently much like with the Marlins during the season his Brewers courtship broke down somewhere along the line.
UPDATE: Haudricourt has confirmed the news.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 9
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 49
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 108
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (110)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (86)