Nov 2, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
It isn’t all hindsight.
Before Cliff Lee gave up that home run to Edgar Renteria last night there were multiple people on my Twitter feed — lots of beat writers and bloggers and everyone — thinking that with first base open and the punchless Aaron Rowand on deck, Lee should have pitched around Renteria or even straight walked him. He didn’t do that, obviously, and Renteria went yard. Buster Olney has a great account of the pitch — including comment from Bengie Molina and Lee — over at ESPN today. The upshot: Molina wanted it out of the zone, Lee says he doesn’t play like that when it’s 3-0, but both admitted that the cutter Renteria deposited in the seats wasn’t the sharpest pitch he’s ever thrown.
My view before the homer? Lee should have pitched to Renteria. I guess it was the wrong view, ultimately, but that’s how I thought about it at the time. If I was Ron Washington, Bengie Molina or Cliff Lee my vote would have been to go after Renteria. Yes, he’s been hot, but he’s still Edgar Renteria. And the guy pitching is still Cliff Lee, and there aren’t many better than Cliff Lee. I don’t like intentionally walking hitters that, generally speaking, don’t pose a serious threat (and in my mind that includes all but the really elite hitters). I certainly don’t like loading the bases.
Like I said: that was ultimately the wrong call. But I’m not gonna fault Lee, Molina or Washington for making it. Lee threw a bad pitch. Renteria did with bad pitches what almost all major leaguers — maybe even Aaron Roward — can do with bad pitches. It happens.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)