Nov 3, 2010, 1:16 PM EDT
Jack Magruder of FOXSportsArizona.com reports that the Diamondbacks are unlikely to re-sign free agent Brandon Webb after paying the former Cy Young winner $8.5 million to throw zero innings this season.
According to Magruder “the Diamondbacks have had no conversations with Webb about a new contract and they do not plan to initiate talks moving forward.”
Webb made just one start in 2009, but the Diamondbacks still exercised his $8.5 million option for this season and then got zero return on the investment. New general manager Kevin Towers has no history with Webb and clearly isn’t interested in taking another risk on the right-hander’s surgically repaired shoulder.
It’ll be interesting to see what type of market there is for Webb as a free agent, because while he’s still just 31 years old and finished first or second in the Cy Young balloting from 2006-2008 his fastball was clocked in the low-80s in a few instructional league appearances last month. He’ll likely have to settle for an incentive-laden one-year deal.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 2
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)