Nov 3, 2010, 6:24 PM EDT
Maybe it wasn’t quite the no-brainer everyone figured it would be a couple of years ago, but the Mets exercised their $11 million option on Jose Reyes for 2011 on Thursday, retaining the shortstop for what will be his ninth season in Queens.
Reyes was healthy for the most part last season after missing most of 2009 with calf and hamstring injuries, but he hit a modest .282/.321/.428 in 133 games. The .749 OPS was well off his career bests of .841 as a 23-year-old in 2006 and .833 in 2008.
Most disturbing about Reyes’ season was his lack of plate discipline. In 2007, he had a fine 77/78 K/BB ratio in 681 at-bats. He walked 66 times in 2008, and in just 36 games in 2009, he drew 18 walks. However, he finished with only 31 walks last season, leaving him with easily his worst on-base percentage since 2005.
Still, there was just no way the Mets could have turned down the option. Reyes may never emerge as the superstar most envisioned him becoming, but even in a down year, he was still one of the league’s better shortstops. Just don’t expect the Mets to pursue a multiyear deal with him this winter. They’ll wait and see how he performs over the first couple of months of next season before they look to go down that road.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (70)