Now your team can sign Kyle Farnsworth, Rick Ankiel

Nov 3, 2010, 9:07 AM EDT

Kyle Farnsworth

It’s not nice to horde all the good things in the world, so kudos to the Braves for selflessly allowing all the other baseball teams the opportunity to have Kyle Fanrsworth and Rick Ankiel on their roster by declining to exercise their options.  Don’t cry for them, though: they each get six-figure buyouts, which is the closest anyone will ever get to stealing without breaking the law.

OK, I’ll try to be fair. Ankiel hit .261/.317/.467 in 92 at-bats for the Royals, and while that wasn’t worth the $3.5 million deal Kansas City inexplicably gave him before last season, it’s not utterly useless.  He declined after the trade to Atlanta. Farnsworth had a similar season dynamic: useful — actually pretty darn useful with the Royals — and then falling off after being shipped to Atlanta.  Overall he posted a a 61/19 K/BB ratio and a 3.34 ERA in 64 2/3 innings. Which should be enough to get him a job as a middle reliever someplace.

You just sort of hope that place isn’t near your team, though.

1. willmose - Nov 3, 2010 at 9:31 AM

With the Mets finally having a GM that understands the value of players, I guess they are out of the bidding for the two. Look for the Cubbies to sign both to 5 year deals at 8 to 12 million per year.

2. Jonny 5 - Nov 3, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Ohhhhhh, I see. I thought you actually flipped your lip. But it was in jest… No but really, they kept who they should have and let these guys walk, as expected. I’ve heard just about nothing on Philly yet. They must be having alnighters right now trying to figure out how to sign Werth and Contreras. I wonder if they could trade Danys Baez for Larry Bowa?? Hmm? I keep hearing crap, like Rowand coming back to Philly, Blah blah blah……. SF would have to eat lots of $$$$$ blah blah. Same old no news BS…

3. dmccarrie - Nov 3, 2010 at 9:55 AM

As a Phillies fan I must make a formal motion to keep Farnsworth on the Braves.

Thank you.

4. yankeesfanlen - Nov 3, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Luckily, the Universe has the FAT TOAD (for now), so no need to bring back Farnsy and waste a day of ARod’s salary.

5. flyerscup2010 - Nov 4, 2010 at 1:35 AM

i like both of them better when they’re “near my team”, though. as long as that team is in the NL east and not located in philadelphia.

6. mvd513 - Nov 4, 2010 at 4:33 AM

Yeah, I agree. Near my team, as long as not my team, is fine. Kyle Farnsworth would make a great Cardinal, probably isnt whiny enough though. Ankiel, well, he wasn’t even good enough for them, though he did have the whining down, but now he cant hit anymore either on top of not being able to pitch.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2694)