Nov 3, 2010, 9:07 AM EDT
It’s not nice to horde all the good things in the world, so kudos to the Braves for selflessly allowing all the other baseball teams the opportunity to have Kyle Fanrsworth and Rick Ankiel on their roster by declining to exercise their options. Don’t cry for them, though: they each get six-figure buyouts, which is the closest anyone will ever get to stealing without breaking the law.
OK, I’ll try to be fair. Ankiel hit .261/.317/.467 in 92 at-bats for the Royals, and while that wasn’t worth the $3.5 million deal Kansas City inexplicably gave him before last season, it’s not utterly useless. He declined after the trade to Atlanta. Farnsworth had a similar season dynamic: useful — actually pretty darn useful with the Royals — and then falling off after being shipped to Atlanta. Overall he posted a a 61/19 K/BB ratio and a 3.34 ERA in 64 2/3 innings. Which should be enough to get him a job as a middle reliever someplace.
You just sort of hope that place isn’t near your team, though.
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 2
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 56
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 48
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 9
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games