Nov 3, 2010, 7:20 PM EST
Rangers GM Jon Daniels told reporters soon after his club’s loss in the World Series that locking up manager Ron Washington to a multi-year contract was his first offseason priority. He wasn’t lying.
The two sides will sit down on Thursday and work out the final details of a contract extension, according to MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan, and could make an official announcement by the end of the day.
Washington was criticized for making a couple of odd moves during the World Series, but he’s highly respected by the core of the Rangers’ clubhouse and the same can be said for his relationship with the Rangers’ front office. “Wash,” as Daniels calls him, has a 331-317 record in four years with Texas.
With a solid young lineup and pitching staff, a billion-dollar television deal, and a fruitful farm system, Washington and the Rangers should make a successful pair for many years to come.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)