Nov 3, 2010, 7:20 PM EDT
Rangers GM Jon Daniels told reporters soon after his club’s loss in the World Series that locking up manager Ron Washington to a multi-year contract was his first offseason priority. He wasn’t lying.
The two sides will sit down on Thursday and work out the final details of a contract extension, according to MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan, and could make an official announcement by the end of the day.
Washington was criticized for making a couple of odd moves during the World Series, but he’s highly respected by the core of the Rangers’ clubhouse and the same can be said for his relationship with the Rangers’ front office. “Wash,” as Daniels calls him, has a 331-317 record in four years with Texas.
With a solid young lineup and pitching staff, a billion-dollar television deal, and a fruitful farm system, Washington and the Rangers should make a successful pair for many years to come.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 121
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)