Nov 3, 2010, 7:20 PM EDT
Rangers GM Jon Daniels told reporters soon after his club’s loss in the World Series that locking up manager Ron Washington to a multi-year contract was his first offseason priority. He wasn’t lying.
The two sides will sit down on Thursday and work out the final details of a contract extension, according to MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan, and could make an official announcement by the end of the day.
Washington was criticized for making a couple of odd moves during the World Series, but he’s highly respected by the core of the Rangers’ clubhouse and the same can be said for his relationship with the Rangers’ front office. “Wash,” as Daniels calls him, has a 331-317 record in four years with Texas.
With a solid young lineup and pitching staff, a billion-dollar television deal, and a fruitful farm system, Washington and the Rangers should make a successful pair for many years to come.
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 36
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 74
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)