Nov 3, 2010, 3:34 PM EDT
This is not exactly how I envisioned Atlanta fixing its outfield problem: the Braves claimed OF Joe Mather off waivers from the Cardinals. He hit a lusty.217 with three RBI in 60 at-bats with the Cardinals last year.
OK, I’m just being grumpy. I know that the Braves don’t think of him as a starter. If he even makes the team it will be as a utility guy, what with his ability to play first, third and all three outfield positions. Kind of a more flexible Eric Hinske or something.
One thing I didn’t need to hear out of all of this is Derrick Goold’s tweet a few minutes ago about how the Braves once tried to trade for Mather before, offering up — wait for it — Rafael Soriano for him. I mean, we saw just how little the Braves would take for Soriano last winter when he was traded for belly button lint, but I’d prefer not to be reminded just how little they valued the guy, ya know?
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)