Nov 3, 2010, 3:34 PM EST
This is not exactly how I envisioned Atlanta fixing its outfield problem: the Braves claimed OF Joe Mather off waivers from the Cardinals. He hit a lusty.217 with three RBI in 60 at-bats with the Cardinals last year.
OK, I’m just being grumpy. I know that the Braves don’t think of him as a starter. If he even makes the team it will be as a utility guy, what with his ability to play first, third and all three outfield positions. Kind of a more flexible Eric Hinske or something.
One thing I didn’t need to hear out of all of this is Derrick Goold’s tweet a few minutes ago about how the Braves once tried to trade for Mather before, offering up — wait for it — Rafael Soriano for him. I mean, we saw just how little the Braves would take for Soriano last winter when he was traded for belly button lint, but I’d prefer not to be reminded just how little they valued the guy, ya know?
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 0
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 31
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 12
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 43
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 133
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (134)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)