The Giants have a lot of decisions ahead

Nov 3, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v San Francisco Giants, Game 4 Getty Images

Andrew Baggarly of the Mercury News reports that the Giants are going to take all of the time available to them — all the way to the midnight deadline tomorrow night — to decide what to do with Edgar Renteria’s option.  It’s a $10 million option with a $500,000 buyout.  I was of the impression that Renteria had already all but decided to retire, but apparently not. Or, apparently not without first collecting half a million in free money after the Giants decline the buyout.

Which they will do, right? Because World Series heroics aside, they don’t honestly think that Renteria is an everyday shortstop anymore, do they? Let alone one worth $10 million?  If they do, maybe I don’t have to trash my “Brian Sabean doesn’t know what he’s doing” template after all.  It’s Ctrl-X-7 on my keyboard if you’re curious, and it’s worn the hell out.

In other Giants news, they’d love to bring Juan Uribe back, but they figure he’s going to get multi-year deals elsewhere and may not compete. They’re also thinking hard about what to do about Pat Burrell. They like him, Baggarly reports, but they saw his limitations — and likely future — in brilliant technicolor during the World Series. If a reasonable deal could be done great, but he’s past the point of giving big money to. Baggarly is also told by anonymous Giants sources that they’d “entertain the idea” of going after Carl Crawford for left field, but I don’t think that’s exactly shocking. I entertain all kinds of unlikely scenarios during the day, but they rarely come to fruition. And, unlike the Giants, I don’t even have Barry Zito’s salary obligations preventing me from doing what I really want to do.

Whatever happens, this is going to be an interesting winter for the World Champs.  Will they realize that, in a lot of ways, they were a lightning-in-a-bottle team and try to continue to build on that great core of pitching and that stud catcher?  Or will they believe that Burrell, Renteria and guys like that know how to win and go back to their old vet-heavy days?

1. BC - Nov 3, 2010 at 10:10 AM

There’s NO WAY you can bring Renteria back at $10 million. That’s insane. Let him and Burrell go, and go get a corner outfielder.

2. thelucasjj - Nov 3, 2010 at 10:23 AM

I think Huff and Uribe are the only two position players worth brining back. I would love to see Crawford as a Giant. I see a lot of Rays games living in Florida and I love to wacth him play. In reality though I don’t think it will happen. Don’t forget Mark DeRosa will be back from Injury next year, so thats exciting…maybe, probably not.

3. Jonny 5 - Nov 3, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Yeah, As much as Renteria outperformed his teammates as well as himself during the WS, The Giants would be CRAZY to pay him TEN MILLION DOLLARS.

4. jhu1997 - Nov 3, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Man, Crawford-Torres-Ross would catch a TON of fly balls in that big outfield, but I can’t dare to dream. There isn’t $20MM of room on that payroll, and that’s pretty much what it would take. Extend Posey and the pitchers and pray that Belt and Culberson pan out.

5. knoiro - Nov 4, 2010 at 9:39 AM

And don’t forget the Giants have a HUGE decision to make on whether they want to keep “Jose Guillen” or not…lol I am so glad KC got rid of that trouble making self indulgent less than average ballplayer.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3661)