Nov 4, 2010, 1:06 AM EST
Just after midnight Eastern on Saturday night it will be open season on free agents. But the madness is already starting.
According to ‘Duk over at BLS, Cliff Lee has been spotted buying cowboy boots!
Hold the presses! This clearly means Cliff Lee is staying with the Texas Rangers right? Or maybe he’s interested in the Houston Astros. Or maybe he just likes cowboy boots. Or perhaps he wants to do duets with the Naked Cowboy. Anyone think of that? Hmmm?
On a (slightly) more serious note, Texas Rangers pitcher C.J. Wilson went on the radio on Tuesday morning and made a case for Lee staying in Texas, citing love of team and lower taxes. From the Dallas Morning News:
“If Boston offers him X amount of dollars and we offer him X amount of dollars, if it’s the same, then he’ll probably chose us over Boston. Because of the good times that he had and the fact that the state income taxes are negligible here.”
Wilson also talked about writing a movie about the 2010 Rangers. Not surprisingly, he chose Brad Pitt to play himself. He also said he would have Clint Eastwood play team president and part owner Nolan Ryan, though I’m not sure Eastwood is tough enough. What do you think, Robin Ventura?
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)