Nov 4, 2010, 9:05 PM EST
Veteran shortstop Edgar Renteria played the hero this year in the Giants’ amazing run to the World Series crown, batting .412 with six RBI over the course of the five-game Fall Classic.
But he’s probably not going to be back in 2011.
The Giants declined Renteria’s $10.5 million option on Thursday evening, according to the San Francisco Chronicle’s Henry Schulman.
Renteria will be 36 by the end of next season and played in only 72 games during the 2010 regular season campaign because of injuries and old age.
He’s talked a little about retirement and it’s never a bad thing to go out on top. We’re guessing that’s the path he takes.
The Giants are also losing infielder Juan Uribe and will look to patch the holes via trade or the free agent market this winter.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)