Nov 4, 2010, 2:00 AM EDT
Not that he would say anything different during the Giants championship victory parade, but free agent first baseman Aubrey Huff was pretty emphatic in saying that he wants to return to San Francisco next season.
From the Associated Press:
“Oh, absolutely, without question,” Huff said. “I won a World Series here. I’ve been in last place my whole life. I won a World Series. The fans are crazy. You’d be an idiot not to want to come back here. I love it. I’ve been on five different teams. I liked them but I didn’t love them. I love this place.”
It was the first playoff appearance for Huff in his 11-year career, so you could understand why he would be eager to return. He was a steal for the Giants this season, leading the team in home runs, RBIs, runs and OPS while playing on a one-year, $3 million deal. He’s in line for a nice raise, though his age (33) should keep his asking price reasonable.
As for the Giants, they have a host of free agents – Huff, Juan Uribe, Pat Burrell, Jose Guillen and probably Edgar Renteria – who could be gone from what was already a patchwork lineup. Frankly, no one needs Huff, and his victory thong, more than they do.
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 6
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)