Nov 4, 2010, 2:00 AM EDT
Not that he would say anything different during the Giants championship victory parade, but free agent first baseman Aubrey Huff was pretty emphatic in saying that he wants to return to San Francisco next season.
From the Associated Press:
“Oh, absolutely, without question,” Huff said. “I won a World Series here. I’ve been in last place my whole life. I won a World Series. The fans are crazy. You’d be an idiot not to want to come back here. I love it. I’ve been on five different teams. I liked them but I didn’t love them. I love this place.”
It was the first playoff appearance for Huff in his 11-year career, so you could understand why he would be eager to return. He was a steal for the Giants this season, leading the team in home runs, RBIs, runs and OPS while playing on a one-year, $3 million deal. He’s in line for a nice raise, though his age (33) should keep his asking price reasonable.
As for the Giants, they have a host of free agents – Huff, Juan Uribe, Pat Burrell, Jose Guillen and probably Edgar Renteria – who could be gone from what was already a patchwork lineup. Frankly, no one needs Huff, and his victory thong, more than they do.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 24
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 45
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 25
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)