Nov 4, 2010, 2:00 AM EDT
Not that he would say anything different during the Giants championship victory parade, but free agent first baseman Aubrey Huff was pretty emphatic in saying that he wants to return to San Francisco next season.
From the Associated Press:
“Oh, absolutely, without question,” Huff said. “I won a World Series here. I’ve been in last place my whole life. I won a World Series. The fans are crazy. You’d be an idiot not to want to come back here. I love it. I’ve been on five different teams. I liked them but I didn’t love them. I love this place.”
It was the first playoff appearance for Huff in his 11-year career, so you could understand why he would be eager to return. He was a steal for the Giants this season, leading the team in home runs, RBIs, runs and OPS while playing on a one-year, $3 million deal. He’s in line for a nice raise, though his age (33) should keep his asking price reasonable.
As for the Giants, they have a host of free agents – Huff, Juan Uribe, Pat Burrell, Jose Guillen and probably Edgar Renteria – who could be gone from what was already a patchwork lineup. Frankly, no one needs Huff, and his victory thong, more than they do.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)