Nov 4, 2010, 2:00 AM EDT
Not that he would say anything different during the Giants championship victory parade, but free agent first baseman Aubrey Huff was pretty emphatic in saying that he wants to return to San Francisco next season.
From the Associated Press:
“Oh, absolutely, without question,” Huff said. “I won a World Series here. I’ve been in last place my whole life. I won a World Series. The fans are crazy. You’d be an idiot not to want to come back here. I love it. I’ve been on five different teams. I liked them but I didn’t love them. I love this place.”
It was the first playoff appearance for Huff in his 11-year career, so you could understand why he would be eager to return. He was a steal for the Giants this season, leading the team in home runs, RBIs, runs and OPS while playing on a one-year, $3 million deal. He’s in line for a nice raise, though his age (33) should keep his asking price reasonable.
As for the Giants, they have a host of free agents – Huff, Juan Uribe, Pat Burrell, Jose Guillen and probably Edgar Renteria – who could be gone from what was already a patchwork lineup. Frankly, no one needs Huff, and his victory thong, more than they do.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)