Nov 4, 2010, 1:02 PM EDT
Braves reliever Peter Moylan is from Australia. And we learn from his recently launched blog — which, if the history of these sorts of things holds, will go inactive in two weeks — that it’s not easy transitioning to the offseason when you’re from the land down under. After he took a 24 hour flight back home, this happened:
I was however, met by a customs officer who took a liking to my chewing tobacco. You see skoal is not something that is readily available in the land down under so as you can imagine a three month supply was sure to catch the attention of the x-ray machine, so what followed was a 30 min negotiation that involved me trying to prove that I am a Major League Baseball player and not a smoke shop owner trying to bring in new products.
I don’t care if ballplayers dip — it’s outrageously dumb, but it’s a free country, even in another country — but I bet Major League Baseball would prefer it if their players didn’t blog about the copious amount of tobacco their players use.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12