Nov 4, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
“I hope that before the season begins I get an extension.”
— Albert Pujols, speaking today at a news conference in the Dominican Republic.
We can talk about Derek Jeter, Cliff Lee, Carl Crawford or anyone else. But the biggest personnel move this winter involves Pujols, a guy who isn’t a free agent until next year.
Pujols won’t negotiate once spring training starts, in all likelihood, and if it gets to this time next year, he’d be silly not to let Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Angels or anyone else who has the means to bid his numbers up like crazy, even if he does ultimately stay in St. Louis.
The Cardinals have to know this. They had better move this winter. Their franchise player — and maybe even the franchise — is at stake if they don’t.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)