Nov 4, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
“I hope that before the season begins I get an extension.”
– Albert Pujols, speaking today at a news conference in the Dominican Republic.
We can talk about Derek Jeter, Cliff Lee, Carl Crawford or anyone else. But the biggest personnel move this winter involves Pujols, a guy who isn’t a free agent until next year.
Pujols won’t negotiate once spring training starts, in all likelihood, and if it gets to this time next year, he’d be silly not to let Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Angels or anyone else who has the means to bid his numbers up like crazy, even if he does ultimately stay in St. Louis.
The Cardinals have to know this. They had better move this winter. Their franchise player — and maybe even the franchise — is at stake if they don’t.
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 0
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 37
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 28
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)