Nov 4, 2010, 5:00 PM EST
“I hope that before the season begins I get an extension.”
– Albert Pujols, speaking today at a news conference in the Dominican Republic.
We can talk about Derek Jeter, Cliff Lee, Carl Crawford or anyone else. But the biggest personnel move this winter involves Pujols, a guy who isn’t a free agent until next year.
Pujols won’t negotiate once spring training starts, in all likelihood, and if it gets to this time next year, he’d be silly not to let Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Angels or anyone else who has the means to bid his numbers up like crazy, even if he does ultimately stay in St. Louis.
The Cardinals have to know this. They had better move this winter. Their franchise player — and maybe even the franchise — is at stake if they don’t.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (225)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)