Nov 4, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
“I hope that before the season begins I get an extension.”
– Albert Pujols, speaking today at a news conference in the Dominican Republic.
We can talk about Derek Jeter, Cliff Lee, Carl Crawford or anyone else. But the biggest personnel move this winter involves Pujols, a guy who isn’t a free agent until next year.
Pujols won’t negotiate once spring training starts, in all likelihood, and if it gets to this time next year, he’d be silly not to let Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Angels or anyone else who has the means to bid his numbers up like crazy, even if he does ultimately stay in St. Louis.
The Cardinals have to know this. They had better move this winter. Their franchise player — and maybe even the franchise — is at stake if they don’t.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)