Nov 4, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Tampa Bay declined 2011 options on Dan Wheeler at $4 million and Willy Aybar at $2.25 million, but Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times reports that the Rays may try to re-sign both players to lesser salaries.
Aybar batted just .230/.309/.344 in 309 plate appearances while playing mostly designated hitter, so giving him a $275,000 buyout is a no-brainer given his weak performance and the abundance of veteran DH-types available this offseason. However, giving Wheeler a $1 million buyout instead of a $4 million option is somewhat surprising.
He had a 3.35 ERA and 46/16 K/BB ratio in 48 innings this season after posting a 3.28 ERA in 2009 and a 3.12 ERA in 2008. Tampa Bay’s bullpen was very deep this year, but the Rays may lose Rafael Soriano and Joaquin Benoit to free agency and whether you view Wheeler as a fallback plan or simply a viable setup man $4 million was a reasonable price.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights