Nov 4, 2010, 12:47 PM EST
Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News hears from “a source” that the Yankees “aren’t planning to make a hard charge for Carl Crawford or Jayson Werth” this offseason.
That certainly makes sense because the Yankees are pretty set in the outfield with Brett Gardner, Curtis Granderson, and Nick Swisher, and Gardner in particular has a relatively similar skill set to Crawford at a fraction of the price.
However, the notion that the Yankees won’t pursue the No. 2 and No. 3 free agents on the market hardly seems set in stone.
What happens if they make Cliff Lee a six-year, $120 million offer and he turns it down? Are the Yankees just going to put that money away for a rainy day and head into 2011 with the same roster? Maybe, but it seems more likely that the moment Lee turns them down would be the same moment their interest in Crawford and Werth increases, even if that means trading one of their current outfielders for pitching help or overpaying for a modest upgrade.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)