Nov 4, 2010, 10:32 PM EST
This comes as a bit of a surprise.
Tracy Ringolsby of FOXSports.com reported Wednesday that the Rockies declined catcher Miguel Olivo’s $2.6 million option for 2011 and that the veteran would enter this offseason as a free agent. That report was apparently incorrect.
Toronto will enter 2011 with a logjam of three catchers — Olivo, Jose Molina and J.P. Arencibia. John Buck is a free agent and is expected to move on in search of a lucrative multi-year contract.
It seems likely that Olivo will be the starter, Molina will be the backup and the 24-year-old Arencibia will be shipped to Triple-A to start the season. If the youngster continues to make progress, the Jays can move Olivo for a prospect in July and shuffle the depth chart accordingly.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 9
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)