Nov 4, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
When the Dodgers exercised their half of Scott Podsednik’s mutual option earlier this week the assumption was that the speedy outfielder would soon do the same and accept a $2 million salary for 2011, but today Podsednik declined his half of the option and became a free agent.
Podsednik earned $1.75 million this season and was paid less than $1 million in both 2008 and 2009, so $2 million seemed like a pretty good salary for a 35-year-old left fielder with a .382 slugging percentage.
Of course, it only takes one team focusing on his speed and veteran-ness above his lack of production to make opting out of the Dodgers deal a sound move for Podsednik.
For all his speed Podsednik isn’t a legitimate option defensively in center field and was thrown out on 15 of 50 steal attempts in addition to annually being among the league leaders in times picked off. He gets on base at a decent clip and has good range in left field, but I’m just not sure how many teams are in the market for a .725 OPS left fielder at this point.
He may find another offer in the $2 million range, but sticking with the Dodgers was probably his best shot at everyday playing time.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)